AORUS X399 Xtreme Flagship $449.99 US Motherboard Review With AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX 32 Core CPU
Gigabyte X399 AORUS Xtreme Motherboard2018
Gigabyte X399 AORUS Xtreme Motherboard Features
The Gigabyte X399 AORUS Xtreme is the flagship variant of the the AORUS X399 family. The board is literally a beast, featuring a stunning black and silver colored brushed aluminum frame. It comes in the E-ATX form factor and carries a price of $449.99 US which puts it in the leauge of the most costly X399 motherboards available in the market. That said, there are only two refershed X399 designs in the market with the AORUS Xtreme being one of. them. It has a design unlike any of the previous X399 motherboards so to say the price is justified would be correct for this specific board.
Gigabyte was the first to introduce proper aluminum fin-based heatsinks on their X470 AORUS Gaming 7 motherboards. They are going to deliver a much beefier solution on their AORUS Extreme motherboard. The board makes use of a 10+3 phase PWM supply which gets power through dual 8-Pin EPS connectors. The entire PWM area is covered by this huge set of heatsinks which are interconnected via a solid heat pipe.
The AMD TR4 socket is surrounded by eight DDR4 DIMM slots (4 on each side). In terms of storage, the motherboard has 6 SATA III ports. In terms of expansion options, the board has four PCI-e 3.0 x16 slots, a single PCI-e 3.0 x1 slot, and three M.2 slots, all of which are covered by Gigabyte’s M.2 heatsink solution. The Ryzen Threadripper processors are designed to offer 64 PCIe lanes but to power, so much expansion devices is another thing. Gigabyte takes care of that by adding a single 6-pin power connector just for that.
The I/O is covered by a large shroud which embeds Gigabyte’s RGB LEDs. The PCH also has a distinct heatsink cover which embeds the AORUS logo and displays RGB lighting. I/O options are very powerful and extensive on this motherboard which includes three LAN ports (10G), 8 USB 3.0 ports, two USB 3.1 ports (Type A and Type C), two Wireless antennas, Power and Reset switches, and a 7.1 channel HD audio jack powered by ESS Sabre HiFi solution.
Gigabyte X399 AORUS Xtreme Motherboard Features:
- Supports AMD 2nd Generation Ryzen Threadripper and 1st Generation Ryzen Threadripper Processors
- Quad Channel ECC/ Non-ECC Unbuffered DDR4, 8 DIMMs, Up to 3600MHz+(OC)/ 3466MHz+(OC)
- Server-Class Digital Power PWM Design & Ultra Durable Solid Pin Power Connectors
- Cutting-edge Thermal Design with Fins-Array Heatsink and Direct Touch Heatpipe
- 4-Way Graphics Support with Dual Armor and Ultra Durable Design
- Triple Ultra-Fast NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 M.2 with Triple Thermal Guard
- Dual Intel GbE LAN with cFosSpeed Internet Accelerator + AQUANTIA 10GbE BASE-T LAN
- ALC1220-VB Enhance 114dB(Rear)/ 110dB(Front) SNR in Microphone with ESS 9118 SABRE HiFi DAC
- Intel Dual Band 802.11ac WIFI + Bluetooth 4.2
- RGB FUSION with Multi-Zone Digital LED Light Show Design, Supports Addressable LED & RGB LED Strips
- Smart Fan 5 Features Multiple Temperature Sensors and Hybrid Fan Headers with FAN STOP
- Precise Digital USB Fuse Design for Stronger Protection
- Ultra Durable NanoCarbon Base Plate & I/O Shield Armor
- Rear Power/Reset/Clear CMOS Buttons
- APP Center Including EasyTune and Cloud Station Utilities