ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 2080 Ti & ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 2080October, 2018
Price$1299 US / $869
Last month, NVIDIA finally released their GeForce RTX 20 series graphics cards. Taking a complete departure from traditional GPU design and creating a hybrid architecture that includes a range of new technologies to power the next-generation immersive gaming experiences. The key highlight of the GeForce RTX 20 series was the enablement of real-time raytracing which has been the holy grail of graphics and something NVIDIA spent 10 years to perfect.
In addition to raytracing, NVIDIA also aims to place bets on AI which will play a key role in powering features such as DLSS or Deep Learning Super Sampling, a unique way of offering the same quality as the more taxing MSAA AA techniques at twice the performance.
We looked at the performance in detail of the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti and GeForce RTX 2080 FE cards and found them to be a good improvement over their predecessors, the GTX 1080 Ti and GTX 1080. When it comes to pricing, the GeForce RTX 20 series are some of the most costly graphics cards NVIDIA has offered to consumers. The reference variants are great with their new cooling design and good looking shrouds but AIBs have also prepped up their own custom models which would rival the FE (reference) cards.
With just a few bucks of asking price over the reference models, the custom variants will offer a range of features such as triple fan coolers, bulky heatsinks, and custom PCBs allowing for better heat dissipation, higher air flow and more overclocking performance and clock stability at their respective boost clocks which will be higher compared to the reference variants.
Today, I'll be taking a look at both the ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 2080 Ti and ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 2080 graphics cards which offer a new cooling technology and better heatsink design that is meant to offer better thermal performance while being factory overclocked.
In case you want to read our full NVIDIA Turing GPU architecture deep dive and GeForce RTX 2080 & GeForce RTX 2080 Founders Edition review, head over to this link.
The ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 2080 Ti is one of the most powerful graphics card available on the market, featuring the best cooling performance and two BIOS modes made for performance enthusiasts and noise free gaming.
- Great performance at the 4K resolution
- Great upgrade from GTX 1080 Ti and GTX 1080
- Great Cooling Performance and Acoustics
- Factory Overclocked Out of Box
- Next-Gen DirectCU heatsink
- Reinforced DirectCU Design
- Axial-Tech Fans With 0dB Technology
- Great overclocking potential, full tuning options
- Memory modules can hit more than 750 GB/s bandwidth
- Backplate includes heat pads for increased heat dissipation
- RGB Lighting support on the shroud, backplate, and sides are a plus
- Stealth Mode button to switch off RGB LEDs
- Support for real-time ray tracing and DLSS features in next-generation gaming titles
- Good driver support for GeForce products, compatibility with DX11, DX12, Vulkan, OpenGL titles
- Performance per watt is great on Turing based graphics cards
- Lot's of display connectivity, great for VR and multi-display PCs
- Ridiculously High Priced ($1299.99 US)
- Very high power consumption when overclocked
- No RTX and DLSS games available on launch
- 0Db Fan Function Not Available in Performance BIOS