Rainbow Six Siege Reveals Operator Winners and Losers, Lion, Nomad and More Getting Tweaks
Ubisoft has revealed what to expect from Rainbow Six Siege’s next update, which will focus mostly on Operator balancing. Interestingly, they also released detailed charts revealing which Operators are strongest and weakest based on their win percentage and how often they’re picked. Where do your favorites land on the chart? Check ‘em out below.
As for the Operator tweaks, it looks like Lion’s scanning ability is getting nerfed in a pretty major way, Capitao is being returned to his original area denial role, and Nomad’s Airjab launcher is being toned down again. Get a full rundown of all the coming changes, below.
- Replaced the scan outline by a red ping debuff
- Reduced the ability warning from 3 to 1.5 seconds
- Reduced the scanning from 4 to 2 seconds
- Reduced the ability cool-down from 27 to 15 seconds
- Increased the number of charges from 2 to 3
The Lion rework is ready. This change is aimed at reducing the oppressive feeling of his ability while maintaining his intel-gathering role. Following the changes introduced, we expect players to put more thought before using this ability and require more skill to be advantageous for the attacking team.
By switching from a scan outline to a ping debuff (like Alibi’s), the effectiveness of the enemy detection will be diminished. Now, moving defenders can be detected up to three times, with 1 second between pings. Lion’s scan will be more viable and will allow defenders to counter-play successful Lion detections.
The total duration of Lion’s ability is shorter for both the warning and the scanning phases. The scan will last a total of 3.5 seconds (from 7 seconds). To balance things, we have increased the number of uses to 3 and also reduced the ability cool-down.
- Reducing damage per tick from 19 to 12
- Size of the area of effect increased
- The area takes 2 seconds to reach its maximum size
- The arrows follow a straight trajectory until 10 meters. After that, they will start to fall due to gravity.
We want to shift Capitao back to his original intention, which is that of an area denial Operator. This is possible by making further iterations on an improved propagation system that will make the area of effect no longer go through objects. Additionally, based on feedback from the initial Test Server phase, we have adjusted the amount of time it takes to expand to the full area of effect. This will allow players time to react to the deployment of his Asphyxiating bolts.
- Added an idle sound cue to activated Airjabs.
- Stun grenades replace her Claymore.
In response to feedback about Airjabs being too difficult to counter, we added an idle sound following the gadget deployment. Our goal is to reward cautious players to spot nearby Airjabs and to adapt appropriately. Thanks to her Airjabs, Nomad already had three gadgets designed to counter flanking by the defending team. That is why we decided to give her stun grenades instead.
- In order to make Ying’s Candelas more intuitive and simple, we have inverted the cooking mechanic.
Just like frag grenades, the longer you cook them, the earlier they will explode. This change should also drive Ying players to put more effort into planning their attacks and to reduce Candela’s spamming.
- We have reduced the TCSG12 total ammunition to 51 (from 61).
- The AUG-A3 damage is increased to 33 (from 27).
By reducing the amount of slugs, we want players to choose between destroying soft walls to prepare their defence and using the weapon to repel attackers. Increasing the damage of the AUG-A3 should make it a more viable choice for Kaid mains.
- To reduce the effectiveness of his Evil eyes, its bulletproof windows will now be half-way opened when affected EMPs or Shock Drones.
By allowing Thatcher or Twitch to have an effect on Evil Eyes, we want teams to rely a little less on soft destruction operators. Maestro mains will also have to be slightly more cautious when placing their gadgets.
- To reduce the frustration generated by this operator, the ballistic shield flash cool-down has been increased (from 2 to 7 seconds.)
We are looking into reducing the amount of frustration generated by Blitz, without hampering his ability to rush the objective. Increasing the cool-down of his shield flash should give more leeway to defenders to adapt and counter the operator.
- IQ can now detect Echo when he is using his PDA.
For consistency, IQ will now detect Echo when he is using his PDA.
Rainbow Six Siege is available on PC, Xbox One, and PS4. We don’t have a release date for the game’s next patch yet, but expect it within the next couple weeks.