Overwatch is Finally Getting Crossplay on all Platforms, Cross-Progression Still Out
Crossplay has increasingly become a standard feature for multiplayer games, and yet, Blizzard has stubbornly kept the walls up and refused to bring the feature to Overwatch – until now. Today, Blizzard announced crossplay is coming to Overwatch, with all platforms (yes, even the Switch) supported. Sadly, cross-progression is still out, but hey, this is still a big step.
Players will net to have a Battle.net account in order to take advantage of Overwatch crossplay. Here’s how the process will work…
Prepare Your Account
All console players will be required to make a Battle.net account and link it to their console (Xbox, PSN, Nintendo) account. PC players do not need to take this step – You already have a Battle.net account. Upon launching the game, you will be prompted to link your console account to a Battle.net account. Follow the steps below to create a Battle.net account, then link your console game account to your Battle.net account.
Linking Your Console Game and Battle.net Accounts
These instructions apply to the in-game steps console players will need to take once Cross-Play is available.
- Launch the game on your system
- Press the confirmation button to progress through the Overwatch welcome screen
- You will be presented with an alpha-numeric code and a QR code
- The alpha-numeric code can be entered at http://battle.net/pair
- The QR code may be scanned with a mobile app to take you to the linking webpage, which will be pre-populated with the code provided in-game
- Log in with your Battle.net account credentials to finalize the connection between your console game and Battle.net accounts
- You will receive a message in-game that notifies that your account is now successfully connected
- Exit and relaunch Overwatch
Overwatch is available now on PC, Xbox One, PS4, and Switch, and is playable via backward compatibility on Xbox Series X/S and PS5. No specific word on when crossplay will launch, but a beta will kick off “soon.”
Products mentioned in this post
The links above are affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, Wccftech.com may earn from qualifying purchases.