Nvidia SHIELD TV Gets Android Pie Update
The Nvidia SHIELD is arguably one of the most supported tablets out there. The device received its Android Oreo update last year, much to everyone's surprise. Today, Nvidia is releasing its "SHIELD Software Experience Upgrade 8.0," for the SHIELD TV, which brings Android Pie to the nearly five-year-old tablet. Along with the standard Android Pie features, the Nvidia Shield TV will also get a handful of features such as "Autofill with Google". It also gets a new setup process which lets you send information such as Wi-Fi passwords and account details from your phone. Here's the complete changelog according to Nvidia:
- Updates “Display and Sounds” advanced setting into two easier to navigate menus.
- Adds option to match content color space (Settings > Display & Sound > Advanced).
- Improves volume dynamic range for USB and bluetooth connected headsets.
- SHIELD TV remote app adds bluetooth assist for pairing and improves connection.
- Enables 720p refresh rate switching on supported apps.
- Adds “Disconnect Bluetooth accessories” option to quick settings.
- Adds IR power control options to customize on/off functionality.
- Adds option to turn off USB power when SHIELD sleeps.
- Adds option to connect to 2.4GHz or 5GHz Wi-Fi network with shared SSID.
- Latest accessory firmware versions:
- SHIELD controller (2017): v1.30
- SHIELD controller (2015): v1.96/99/3.71/0.32
- SHIELD remote (2017): v1.43
- SHIELD remote (2015): v.1.36
The update also brings a new feature called “Match Content Color Space” for TVs that support HDR. It can automatically switch the display mode to deliver more accurate colours. The update also brings Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 surround sound for audio up to 640 kbps for apps such as Netflix, Prime Video, and Hulu+. Additionally, GeForce NOW gets twenty new games. The SHIELD Android TV update is rolling out starting today and should be available to all users. It is worth noting that the tablet released with Android 5.1 out of the box and this is the fourth major update it has received since.