[Updated] New Nintendo Switch Update 4.0.0 Adds Video Capture For Select Games & General Stability Improvements
[Update] It turns out that the Switch 4.0.0 also adds support for USB/Wireless USB headsets in docked mode. Basically, any headset with a USB-cable or USB-dongle appears to work.
[Original story] Nintendo Switch Update 4.0.0 has been released by Nintendo which adds video capture for select games, including Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.
The update allows players to capture video up to a maximum of 30 seconds and will be saved to the album where it can be trimmed. This feature is available now in Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Splatoon 2, ARMS, and Super Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (via today’s patch for the game).
Other features include 12 new user profile icons from Super Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild, and the option to transfer user and save data to another Switch system.
We’ve included the full release notes for Switch Update 4.0.0 down below:
Improvements Included in Version 4.0.0 (Distributed 10/18/2017)
Added the following system functionality
- Capture video on select games
- To capture video, hold down the Capture Buttonduring gameplay
- Up to a maximum of the previous 30 seconds will be saved in the Album. You can trim the beginning and end of each clip, and post to Facebook and Twitter.
- As of October 18th, 2017, this feature is compatible with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, ARMS, and Splatoon 2
- Select from 12 new Super Mario Odyssey and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild icons for your user
- To edit your user icon, head to your My Page on the top left of the Home Menu > Profile
- Transfer user and save data to another system
- To transfer, head to System Settings > Users > Transfer Your User and Save Data
- Pre-purchase option on Nintendo eShop
- A pre-purchase option will be available for certain games. This option allows pre-load of the game to your system for quicker play when the game is released.
- This feature will be supported by future game releases
News channel updates
- The news feed has been updated with a new look.
- Unfollowing a channel will remove that channel’s content from the news feed and following the channel again will make it reappear.
- Match software version with a group of local users
- To create a group, head to the software’s Options > Software Update > Match Version with Local Users
- Everyone’s software will be updated to match the most recent version in the group
- All users must be on system menu version 4.0.0 or later to view and join a group
General system stability improvements to enhance the user’s experience, including:
- Changed the specification which hid wireless networks using TKIP security from the network search results. Wireless networks using TKIP security will now display in search results as a grayed-out selection instead of not being displayed
- The Nintendo Switch console supports WEP, WPA-PSK(AES), and WPA2-PSK(AES). If your router is using a different security type (e.g. WPA-PSK(TKIP)), you will need to change this security type within your router’s settings.
The Nintendo Switch is available globally now (if in stock).