New Workshop Feature Lets Overwatch Players Create Custom Scripts for Game Modes and Heroes
Blizzard Entertainment announced the availability (only on the Public Test Realm for now) of a new feature for Overwatch called Workshop. According to the developers, this is a 'simplified game scripting system' whose purposes is to greatly expand the customization options in Overwatch, both when it comes to game modes and heroes.
Now available on the Public Test Realm on PC, players can create a Script within Workshop to add Rules and unique play Conditions on top of the established Overwatch game modes they already know and love. Rules can do things like change how a hero’s movement and abilities work, modify how players are damaged or healed, or even display text under certain circumstances.
- Create your own scripts for customized game modes in Overwatch
- Share/link out to your own game mode without navigating through menus in game
- Debug issues with their scripts using the Workshop Inspector
- Games created by Workshop will live on the Custom Game Browser
- It will be available on Console and PC
To access Workshop on the PTR and start creating a script, while in game, click Play > Game Browser> Create > Settings > Workshop.
The Overwatch team is offering two new game modes created through Workshop to give players an idea of what’s possible:
- Molten Floor: Stay off the floor, it’s deadly lava.
- Mirrored Deathmatch (FFA): Players wage deathmatch as the same mirrored hero, rotating heroes every minute; the player with the most kills wins.
Could this be a way for Blizzard to gain back some players who might have left for more popular shooter games like Fortnite and PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds? We'll see. If you do try it out on the PTR, let us know your first impressions of Workshop.
Meanwhile, check out the introductory video published a few hours ago on the official Overwatch YouTube channel.