Mafia: Trilogy Finally Announced [Update: Original Game Getting a Full Remake]
Rumors, leaks, and teases have been bouncing around for weeks, and now it’s official – the Mafia games are coming back for another taste of the action! Today 2K Games announced Mafia: Trilogy, a remastering of the entire series being handled by Mafia III developers Hangar 13. Apparently, we’re going to have to wait for a full trailer and details about the new features coming to these games, but for now, we have the following Mafia: Trilogy teaser trailer.
Interestingly, while 2K is keeping details under wrap for now, a listing for Mafia II: Definitive Edition has popped up on the Microsoft store, indicating that players may be able to purchase the games separately. Here’s how Mafia II: Definitive Edition is described…
Part two of the Mafia crime saga – 1940’s - 50’s Empire Bay, NY
Remastered in stunning HD detail, live the life of a gangster during the Golden-era of organized crime. War hero Vito Scaletta becomes entangled with the mob in hopes of paying his father’s debts. Alongside his buddy Joe, Vito works to prove himself, climbing the family ladder with crimes of larger reward, status and consequence.
- Golden-era Drama: Inspired by iconic mafia dramas, be immersed in the allure and impossible escape of life as a wise guy in the Mafia.
- Empire Bay, NY: Post-World War II Empire Bay, NY, a city sprawling with opportunity and where organized crime thrives on the booming industries of post-war America.
- The Complete & Remastered Favorite: For the first-time ever experience the Mafia II crime drama all in one package and presented in stunning HD detail.
Update: A Microsoft Store listing for Mafia: Definitive Edition has also gone up, and it appears the game will be a full-on remake rather than a remaster. You can check out some screenshots and a description below (click images for full resolution:
Part one of the Mafia crime saga - 1930s, Lost Heaven, IL
Re-made from the ground up, rise through the ranks of the Mafia during the Prohibition era of organized crime. After a run-in with the mob, cab driver Tommy Angelo is thrust into a deadly underworld. Initially uneasy about falling in with the Salieri crime family, Tommy soon finds that the rewards are too big to ignore.
- Play a Mob Movie: Live the life of a Prohibition-era gangster and rise through the ranks of the Mafia.
- Lost Heaven, IL: Recreated 1930's cityscape, filled with interwar architecture, cars and culture to see, hear and interact with.
- Re-Made Classic: Faithfully recreated, with expanded story, gameplay and original score. This is the Mafia you remembered and much more.
Mafia: Trilogy is coming to PC (via both Steam and the Epic Games Store), Xbox One, and PS4. 2K is promising to share more about the games on May 19, and according to the Microsoft Store listing, that's the release date for Mafia II: Definitive Edition. Will we be getting an "Available now!" announcement next week? Meanwhile, Mafia: Definitive Edition is being listed for August 27. What do you think? Excited to bust out the Tommy Gun again?