If you are looking for a device that is affordable and provides you with the vanilla Android experience as well, then going for the Google Pixel 3a or 3a XL is the smartest thing that you can do. Why? Google has made these devices for people who are not looking to spend a lot of money and still get a great experience.
Granted, you are getting reduced specifications, but the overall experience remains unchanged. Another great thing here is that these devices enjoy a whole heap of developer support, which means rooting is going to be a walk in the park.
Root Google Pixel 3a XL With Magisk
If you are looking to root your Pixel 3a XL, the process is fairly simple and straightforward. You have the good old Magisk to trust, and that is about it. We are not going to waste any more time and will now start looking at how you can root your device.
- Download and install ADB, fastboot, and Android drivers from here.
- Get the latest Magisk Manager from here and install it on your device after the bootloader is unlocked.
- Download the latest firmware for your device; make sure that the build number matches the build number of the firmware on your phone. Download.
Step 1: Bootloader Unlocking
Unlocking the bootloader is a must if you wish to root your device. Thankfully, Google has made the process a lot simpler. However, you must know that unlocking the bootloader is going to wipe your device, but on the plus side, you will not be voiding your warranty.
The steps to unlock the bootloader are simple and can be found below.
- Start by heading over to Settings > About phone and tap the build number until you get a message that Developer options are enabled.
- Go back to the menu, and now you will have the option of Developer options. Tap on that.
- Once there, you enable USB debugging and look for OEM unlocking toggle and turn that on as well.
- Connect your phone to the PC.
- Open the Command Prompt and type adb reboot bootloader and press enter.
- Your phone will now reboot into Fastboot mode.
- Once there, the next command that you will have to execute is going to be fastboot flashing unlock.
- The phone will display a new screen, giving you information on the bootloader unlocking process. Select yes, and the process will start.
- The unlocking process will not take long, and once the bootloader is unlocked, you will be back on Fastboot mode simply navigate using the volume keys and reboot your device.
This process will unlock the bootloader for you, the next step will include the rooting process.
Step 2: Rooting Google Pixel 3a XL
The good thing about these phones is that the rooting process for them is among the easiest. Let's dive in.
- Extract the firmware you downloaded earlier.
- Find the boot.img and copy it to your phone's storage.
- Install Magisk Manager and launch it.
- Tap the Install button and select Install again, once done, select Select and Patch a File.
- Go to where you have placed the boot.img on your phone and choose the file.
- The file will be then patched and you will get magisk_patched.img in the Downloads folder.
- Copy the patched img file to your desktop.
- Open Command Prompt once again on your desktop by pressing shift and then right-clicking, once done, choose CMD or Powershell from the menu that follows.
- Type the following command adb reboot bootloader.
- Once in Fastboot mode, the next command that you will have to enter is fastboot flash boot magisk_magisk.img and press enter. This will initiate the flashing process.
- Once the flashing process is done, simply type fastboot reboot and the phone will reboot.
The booting is going to take a minute or so, and once the phone boots up, simply check if the Magisk Manager app is still there, if it is, go ahead and launch the app. You will see that the phone has been rooted.