How to Root Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro with Magisk
Yesterday, I did a comprehensive guide on how you can go ahead and unlock the bootloader of your Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro. It is safe to say that unlocking the bootloader is just part of the process to gain root access. But to avoid any confusion, I had decided to go ahead and split the guide into two pieces so you can have an easier time when it comes to rooting your device. If you are wondering how to root Pixel 6 or Pixel 6 Pro; the process is fairly simple, so you do not have to worry about messing things up.
As always, before you proceed with this, you will need to go ahead and unlock the bootloader first. Once that is done, you can get started.
Root Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro with Magisk
Thankfully, the rooting process for both Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro is fairly simple and straightforward and you really do not have to worry much about things getting out of hand. Still, we are going to walk you through the process.
Before you begin, however. I would highly suggest that you download the files listed below.
Once you have downloaded the appropriate files, you can follow the tutorial below.
- Start by installing Magisk on your Pixel 6 or Pixel 6 Pro.
- Once that is done, download the factory zip for your build.
- Inside the factory zip, you will find an update zip and inside that, you will find "device-image-buildnumber.zip" Open this and extract the boot.img.
- Now copy the boot.img to your Pixel 6 or Pixel 6 Pro.
- Patch the boot.img with Magisk: Install > Select and Patch a File.
- Once done, copy the patched image back to your PC. The name will be like magisk_patched-23xxx_xxxxx.img. Rename it to "master root.img" and keep it safe for future updates.
- Reboot your Pixel 6 or Pixel 6 Pro to the bootloader.
- Flash the patched image using the following command.
fastboot flash boot <drag and drop master root.img here>
- Reboot your Pixel 6 or Pixel 6 Pro, wait for the phone to boot successfully, open Magisk, and confirm the root.
There you have it, you are now fully rooted. You can go ahead and get started with the customization on your Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro.
One important thing to know is that when you update your phone, you will lose root access. You will have to redo everything from step 2 and onwards after downloading the latest update.
If you have any questions, feel free to let us know.