Microsoft System Information Tool is basically a standard feature that has been built into Windows 10 and all of Windows’ previous generations since Windows 95. The purpose is to get an insight into the current specifications of your system from the hardware to the installed drivers, error reports, and components.
But when and why would you require this information tool? This can be an essential problem solver if your PC is facing any kind of issue and the manufacturer of your computer asks for a System Info report to check for compatibility issues or assist you further with the malfunction.
Here’s how you can create, save, and analyze a Windows 10 system information report:
- Open the Start menu and type run in the search bar. Click on the Run app to proceed.
- In Run, type msinfo32 in the provided field and click on OK.
- This would open the System Information window with three primary tabs i.e. Hardware Resources, Components, Software Environment. But the main tab would be System Summary which provides you with a detailed overview of the system’s current specs and state of operation.
- As you double-click on Hardware Resources, it would open up sub-tabs that reflect more information such as the currently installed hardware, memory, IRQs, and more.
- If you double-click on the Components tab then it would expand to provide information regarding the installed components on your PC with their respective driver info, status, and ID. Each of the components is listed depending on their functionality such as the Storage sub-tab houses all the info of the hard drives and other installed storage devices.
- As you double-click on the final Software Environments tab, you will see all your System Drivers listed in alphabetic order along with Network Connections, Windows Error Reporting, and Startup Programs.
- In order to save this report, you can simply click on the Files menu up on the top-left corner and click on Save.
- Enter a suitable file name along with a location and click on Save to finalize the changes.
- It could take 15 to 30 seconds for the process to complete.
By following these simple set of instructions, you can gain extensive knowledge about your system’s current functional status with respect to hardware and software. The saved report can also be forwarded to the manufacturer of your PC or any other party for troubleshooting or other purposes.