The Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 model SCH-I535 can too now be updated to the latest Android 4.3 Jelly Bean with CyanogenMod 10.2 custom firmware. The said custom ROM has been unofficially released for many Samsung and other Android devices and now SGS3 I535 too has got its share. Follow this guide to update your Galaxy S3 I5353 to CM10.2.
Prerequisites to update Galaxy S3 SCH-I535 to Android 4.3 JB CM 10.2 custom firmware - unofficial:
- Backup any important data from your Verizon Galaxy S3 as a complete wipe will be required during the flashing process.
- Enable USB debugging option on your device: Settings > Development Options > USB debugging.
- Your device must be rooted, unlocked and installed with a recovery tool like TWRP or CWM.
- Your Samsung Galaxy S3 must be charged to at least 60% of power.
Note: the tutorial is only focused on Samsung Galaxy S3 model SCH-I535 - please do not try it on other Android devices.
How to update Galaxy S3 SCH-I535 to Android 4.3 JB CM10.2 custom ROM:
Required files: download the CM 10.2 unofficial ROM zip for Verizon SGS3 from here and save it on your computer. Do not extract the contents. Also download the Google Apps Package for Galaxy S3 i535.
- Connect your SGS3 to your computer using a USB cable and copy both the zip files to your smart phone’s internal memory card.
- Disconnect the USB cord and power off your Galaxy S3.
- Boot it into recovery mode and perform a Nandroid backup of your current OS; important step to revert back to current state. Go to Backup > backup and restore on CWM.
- Now wipe data: from CWM recovery mode, select wipe data / factory reset and confirm the process.
- To flash the CM 10.2 unofficial custom ROM for Samsung Galaxy S3 i535, select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard. Locate the CM 10.2 Android 4.3 zip and confirm the installation process. The ROM installation process will take several minutes, be patient.
- Once done, follow the above step for GApps package installation on your SGS3 I535.
- Return back to main recovery menu and reboot your device into the CM 10.2 unofficial custom OS. First boot takes a good few minutes.
Awesome! You have successfully flashed the unofficial CM 10.2 custom firmware based on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean on your Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 SCH-I535!