How to Configure Cloudflare DNS on iOS, macOS and tvOS [Guide]
Here’s how you can configure and use the Cloudflare DNS (188.8.131.52) on iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac and Apple TV.
Speed up Your Internet and Stay Secure Online with Cloudflare DNS
Cloudflare launched its 184.108.40.206 DNS service on the first of April and the news was obviously absorbed with a lot of enthusiasm. Not only is Cloudflare’s DNS faster compared to the likes of Google and OpenDNS, but it also provides peace of mind with its security related features as well. You can read all about it here.
In today’s guide, we’ll show you how you can set up and use Cloudflare DNS on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac or even your Apple TV.
Note: There is a chance that Cloudflare’s DNS service might not actually help with your Internet experience one bit and your ISP’s DNS prove to be a reliable choice. It’s best you compare both side by side before making your decision which DNS you want to use.
Tutorial – iOS 11 (iPhone, iPad, iPod)
1. Connect to the WiFi network on which you wish to use Cloudflare’s DNS service.
2. Now head over to Settings > WiFi.
3. Over here tap on the little ‘i’ icon next to the connected WiFi network’s name.
4. Now tap on Configure DNS.
5. Select Manual.
6. Now remove the already assigned DNS address and add two new ones as shown in the screenshot below. The first one is 220.127.116.11 the second is 18.104.22.168.
7. Tap on Save.
Repeat the above steps for every WiFi network you connect to if you are planning to use Cloudflare across the board.
Tutorial – macOS High Sierra (Mac)
1. Connect to your WiFi network.
2. Click on the WiFi icon in the menu bar then select Open Network Preferences.
3. Select WiFi from the left hand pane then click on Advanced on the bottom right corner.
4. Click on the DNS tab at the top.
5. Click on the little ‘+’ sign to add a DNS server and add 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199 as shown in the screenshot below. Click on OK once you are done.
Tutorial – tvOS (Apple TV)
Note: This tutorial is applicable to the Apple TV 4 and Apple TV 4K only running the latest version of tvOS.
1. Turn on your Apple TV and connect to a WiFi network.
2. Go to Settings.
3. Select Network.
4. Assuming you’re already connected, select your WiFi network to display more options.
5. Select Configure DNS then select Manual.
6. Enter the following address 188.8.131.52 or 184.108.40.206 and then hit Done.
I said it before and I’m gonna say it again: it’s not necessarily the case that Cloudflare’s DNS service will perform better than your ISP’s very own. It’s best to try out the two side by side and then settle on the one which you want to use down the line.