Gears of War Ultimate released in late August for Xbox One, delivering an improved package in both visuals and gameplay over the original Xbox release.
However, the game is also one of the first DirectX 12 titles in development for PC. In a lengthy interview published today by Eurogamer, some developers of The Coalition have talked about the details of the remaster. We have highlighted the relevant parts for the upcoming PC version, which still doesn't have a release date despite being pinned for this year.
"We have put significant effort into making the Windows 10 version a showcase at 4K"
To begin with, Cam McRae (Technical Director for the Windows 10 PC version) explained how they're going to use DirectX 12 and even Async Compute in Gears of War Ultimate.
We are still hard at work optimising the game. DirectX 12 allows us much better control over the CPU load with heavily reduced driver overhead. Some of the overhead has been moved to the game where we can have control over it. Our main effort is in parallelising the rendering system to take advantage of multiple CPU cores. Command list creation and D3D resource creation are the big focus here. We're also pulling in optimisations from UE4 where possible, such as pipeline state object caching. On the GPU side, we've converted SSAO to make use of async compute and are exploring the same for other features, like MSAA.
Moreover, it seems like the assets have been carefully tuned even up to 4K resolution. In terms of antialiasing techniques, the game will support MSAA and FXAA options and it won't have any frame rate lock.
We have put significant effort into making the Windows 10 version a showcase at 4K, geo and textures were re-authored with 4K in mind so the visual fidelity will really scale up on higher end hardware. We plan to uncap the frame-rate and will ship with a built-in benchmark mode. For anti-aliasing we'll support MSAA and FXAA.
Finally, McRae promised they would try to ensure a minimum of 30fps even on weaker hardware.
While we haven't locked how far the game will scale down, it is important to us to ensure good performance (at least 30fps) on a variety of hardware. We will support a broad range of resolutions as well as a variety of graphics options for gamers to tweak their setup.
Gears of War Ultimate sports the following features:
- Remastered for Dolby 7.1 Surround
- New Xbox Live achievements (1,250 Gamerscore)
- Concept art gallery and unlockable comics
- Modernized Multiplayer featuring:
- Dedicated servers
- Skill-based matchmaking
- New game types - Team Deathmatch, King of the Hill (Gears of War 3 style), and new 2v2 Gnasher Execution
- Total of 19 maps, including all DLC maps
- 17 unlockable Gears of War 3 characters for Multiplayer progression
- More Match customization including Actives, Respawn Time, Self-revive and Weapon Respawn
- Modernized gameplay with smoother movement and updated controls:
- Alternate Controls and all new Tournament Controls
- Adding the Gears of War 3 features you love: Enemy Spotting, Multiplayer Tac-Com, Improved sensitivity customization
Do you plan to purchase the game once it becomes available on Windows 10? Did you already try it on Xbox One and if so, what do you think of this remaster? Voice your opinion in the comments.