Download macOS Big Sur 11 / 11.0.1 Final Installer, Available for All Compatible Macs
You can now download the full and final macOS Big Sur 11 / 11.0.1 final installer with and without the Mac App Store right now.
Final Version of macOS Big Sur is Now Available for Download, Get the Installer and Update Today
After one exciting beta rollercoaster ride, the full and final version of macOS Big Sur is now available to download for everyone around the globe. Yes, everyone. It's not a phased rollout. If your Mac is in the list below, you can go ahead and install the update immediately.
- MacBook (Early 2015 or newer)
- MacBook Air (2013 or newer)
- MacBook Pro (2013 or newer)
- Mac mini (2014 or newer)
- iMac (2014 or newer)
- iMac Pro (2017)
- Mac Pro (2013 or newer)
Interested in learning about everything that is new with macOS Big Sur? Check out our initial launch article right here:
- macOS Big Sur Official – New Dock Designs, Updated Widgets, Fresh Control Center and an Aesthetically Upgraded UI for Apps
macOS Big Sur 11 Changelog
Before we dive into the download part, let's just have a quick look at the official changelog for the update first. It's quite a lengthy read, but that's a good. Grab a coffee and dig right in.
Download the New Update Over the Air
This is the route everyone should take if they want to experience the latest update without any sort of fuss. Although you are not required to take a backup of anything since over the air updates go smoothly, it's still a good idea to take one anyway, just in case.
Follow the steps below and download macOS Big Sur 11 / 11.0.1 over the air:
- Make sure you have saved all your pending work - documents, photos, videos
- Launch Mac App Store
- Search for macOS Big Sur
- Click on GET
- Wait for a few seconds and the macOS Big Sur update will show right up
- Install the update from here, that's all
The whole thing may take a while to download and install, so it's better to let it all happen in peace, or just before bedtime when you don't need your Mac for anything at all. Once downloaded and installed, you can start enjoying the new features of macOS Big Sur immediately.
Download macOS Big Sur from Mac App Store
If you want to take the plain and simple route of installing Big Sur from the Mac App Store, you can do that as well. Simply click on the link below and it will launch the Mac App Store instantly. Click on GET and you will be done.
If you don't choose to install macOS Big Sur immediately, the installer will lay dormant in the /Applications folder.
Download the macOS Big Sur Installer Without the Mac App Store
Note: Patcher is not ready for macOS Big Sur just yet. Once it is, we will remove this note.
You can get the standalone installer without the Mac App Store. It's a slightly tricky process, but it is completely worth it, especially if you are planning to do a clean install of Big Sur using a USB drive. Follow the steps below and you will be up and running:
- Download the macOS Big Sur Patcher by going to:
- Launch the app. If you are being told that you can't launch the app then go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy and here you should find an option called 'Open Anyway.' Click on it
- Click on the Patcher app again and it will launch just fine
- Click on Continue
- Click on Options in the menu bar at the top and uncheck the Auto-apply Post Install Patches feature
- You will see two options on the display - Browse for a Copy and Download a Copy. Click on Download a Copy
- You will be notified about the download size and that it will be downloaded in the Downloads folder of your Mac. Click on Start Download to begin the download
Once done, you will see the macOS Big Sur installer in the Downloads folder, ready to be turned into a USB installer, or you can share the image file with someone who needs to upgrade to Big Sur - entirely your call.
Create macOS Big Sur Bootable USB Drive
Clean installing Big Sur? You'll need to create a bootable USB drive before doing anything else:
Clean Install macOS Big Sur
Using the USB drive you created above, you can clean install Big Sur. Follow our tutorial below:
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter