Download iOS 5.1 Beta 2 for iPhone 4 / iPod Touch 4G / iPad 2
Apple has started seeding the latest version of iOS 5.1’s next beta release, after releasing beta 1 they have now released a newer version to the upcoming iOS 5.1 which is compatible with devices as old as the iPod Touch 3G and even the iPhone 3GS. Head on inside for download links for your iDevice.
iOS 5 released alongside the iPhone 4S, while the launch of it caused the infamous battery drain issue which is still persistent but hopefully will be fixed in the final build of this version of iOS 5 :D. Right now you can download the IPSW files but you will have to wait for a compatible version of iTunes to come out before you can install these files on your iDevice. Do keep in mind that this IS a BETA so obviously you will encounter bugs or crashes or other issues so please have patience or else just stick to your current iOS.
And those of you wondering about the changes in iOS 5.1 Beta 2, here is the changelog courtesy of BoyGeniusReport
Notes and Known Issues
The following issues relate to using the 5.1 SDK to develop code.
When creating an iCloud account, you can use any Apple ID as long as it is a full email address and not a MobileMe account. If you have a MobileMe account, you can move that account to iCloud. You can find more information at: http://me.com/move
NSNetServiceclass and CFNetService APIs do not include P2P interfaces by default. To browse, register, or resolve services over P2P interfaces, an application needs to use the Bonjour
DNSService*()APIs noted below.
- Setting the interfaceIndex parameter to
kDNSServiceInterfaceIndexAnyin the following API’s will not include P2P interfaces by default. To include P2P interfaces, you must now set the
kDNSServiceFlagsIncludeP2Pflag when using
kDNSServiceInterfaceIndexAnyor set the interfaceIndex to
kDNSServiceInterfaceIndexP2P. The affected APIs are:
FIXED: App icons and profile photos are not loading in apps using Game Center.
iCloud Photo Stream
NEW: Photos taken using iOS 5.1 can be deleted from Photo Stream on your device and will be removed automatically from Photo Stream on your other iOS 5.1 devices. Older photos can be manually deleted from your iOS 5.1 devices.
- Provisioning profiles must be enabled for iCloud in the iOS Provisioning Portal. To enable a provisioning profile for iCloud, navigate to the App ID section of the iOS Provisioning Portal and configure your App ID for iCloud. After enabling the App ID for iCloud, regenerate your provisioning profiles to enable them for iCloud.
NSMetadataQueryis not supported.
- In iOS 5, files that are protected via Data Protection cannot be used with iCloud Storage APIs.
- File names are case-insensitive in Mac OS X but case-sensitive in iOS. This can lead to problems when sharing files between the two using iCloud. You should take steps on iOS to avoid creating files whose names differ only by case.
Starting in iOS 5.0, in order to facilitate finer-grained playback control, a movie player is not automatically prepared to play upon creation. Call the
prepareToPlaymethod to prepare the movie player. For more information, see MPMoviePlayerController Class Reference
Using shake-to-shuffle causes Music app to freeze and playback to stop.
In iOS 5, signing certificates with MD5 signatures is not supported. Please ensure that certificates use signature algorithms based on SHA1 or SHA2.
NEW: Immediately after completing the Setup Assistant, it may re-appear and show the wifi screen and/or final “Thank You” screen. The workaround when in this loop is to reboot the device.
SpringBoard Lock Screen
NEW: The lock screen can intermittently get in a state where double-clicking the home button will no longer bring up the camera button. To get out of that state, you need to restart the device.
- NEW: This preview release of Xcode 4.3 is distributed as a single application bundle, Xcode.app. Delivering the Xcode tools in a single app bundle allows Xcode to be installed directly from the App Store, without the additional step of running the Install Xcode app. To install Xcode during the preview period, double-click to open the downloaded DMG file, and drag the
Xcode.appfile to your Applications folder.Within Xcode, you can launch additional developer tools, such as Instruments and FileMerge, via the menu item Xcode -> Open Developer Tool. You can then pin the tool on your Dock for access when Xcode is not running. Not all of the tools previously included in the Xcode installer are bundled in this preview release.
- In the iOS 5 development tools, it is possible to extract APIs used by an application and have them checked for use of private APIs. This option is offered when you validate your application for app submission.
- FIXED: A bug in the documentation organizer causes an exception when you type in any field in the content area. To prevent the need to log into the developer website from Xcode, download documentation sets locally using Xcode’s documentation preference pane and enable the ‘Check for and install updates automatically’ checkbox as a workaround.
- FIXED: “uninstall-devtools” script mistakenly removes files and packages even if Xcode is still running. Be sure to quit any running copy of Xcode before starting the “uninstall-devtools” script.
- FIXED: The Network Link Conditioner daemon cannot be launched after installing the Networking Link Conditioner without a reboot. You can manually workaround the issue with a restart or by the following command: sudo launchctl load /system/library/launchdaemons/com.apple.networklinkconditioner.plist.]
I will add the download link to a compatible iTunes HERE , So be sure to check back frequently.