Full and final version of iOS 16.1 for iPhone is now available for download. Here are all the new features, including IPSW files.
iOS 16.1 for iPhone Now Available for Download With a Handful of New Features, Including Live Activities - Bug Fixes and Performances Also Bundled
We have seen a handful of iOS 16.1 betas for iPhone thus far. But today, we don't have to deal with a new beta. Instead, we get the full and final version of iOS 16.1, and you can download it right now, on your iPhone, over the air, with a few taps.
But, before we show you how to download the update, here is everything that is new in this release. It's a long read, therefore, grab that espresso if you are going to go through each and every single feature Apple has baked into iOS 16.1.
iOS 16.1 Features and Changes
iCloud Shared Photo Library
- Separate library for seamlessly sharing photos and videos with up to five other people
- Setup rules allow you to easily contribute past photos based on a start date or people in the photos when you set up or join a library
- Library filters for quickly switching between viewing the Shared Library, your Personal Library, or both libraries together
- Shared edits and permissions let everyone add, edit, favorite, caption, and delete photos
- Sharing toggle in Camera lets you choose to send photos you take straight to the Shared Library or enable a setting to share automatically when other participants are detected nearby using Bluetooth
- Live Activities from third-party apps are available in the Dynamic Island and on the Lock Screen for iPhone 14 Pro models
- Apple Fitness+ is supported on iPhone even if you don’t have an Apple Watch
- Key sharing enables you to securely share a car, hotel room, and other keys in Wallet using messaging apps such as Messages and WhatsApp
- Savings account enables Apple Card customers to grow their Daily Cash by depositing it in a high-yield savings account
- Matter, the new smart home connectivity standard, is supported enabling a wide variety of smart home accessories to work together across ecosystems
Clean Energy Charging
- New setting that can try to reduce your carbon footprint by selectively charging when lower carbon emission electricity is available
- Reader controls are automatically hidden as you start reading
This update also includes bug fixes for your iPhone:
- Deleted conversations may appear in the conversations list in Messages
- Dynamic Island content is not available when using Reachability
- CarPlay may fail to connect when using a VPN app
Some features may not be available for all regions or on all Apple devices. For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website:
Download iOS 16.1 Over the Air (Without Losing Your Files or Settings)
This is the route everyone should take, especially if you want to keep your files and settings intact. It's super easy to initiate, and all you have to do is go to Settings > General > Software Update. Just make sure you have 50% or more battery life remaining and are connected to Wi-Fi before going ahead.
Clean Install iOS 16.1
You can clean install iOS 16.1 on your iPhone, and there are multiple ways you can do it. But, it will wipe everything off your phone, therefore, take a backup using iTunes, Finder, or iCloud. Once done, read further.
Download iOS 16.1 IPSW Files
You honestly don't need to download ISPW files since Finder and iTunes download it for you. But, if you love having them around for any reason at all, then click on the one you need and save it to your desktop:
- iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPhone 14 Pro
- iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Plus
- iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPhone 13 Pro
- iPhone 13 mini, iPhone 13
- iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 12 mini
- iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XS
- iPhone 11, iPhone XR
- iPhone X
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone SE 3
- iPhone SE 2
Connect Your iPhone and Restore
Connect your iPhone to your PC or Mac using a Lightning cable, launch iTunes or Finder and wait for your device to be detected. Once detected, you will see a tiny iPhone-like icon on the left or at the top left, click on it. Now, click on the 'Restore iPhone' button and follow the on-screen instructions and warnings in order to initiate the installation process.
If you have an IPSW file saved with you already, click on the Restore iPhone button while holding down the left Shift key (Windows) or the left Option key (Mac). A new window will open up, select the iOS 16.1 IPSW file and let iTunes and Finder restore it.
While you are here, check out the following: