Apple has just updated it's mobile operating system iOS with the release of iOS 8.1. The most important feature of iOS 8.1 is the inclusion of Apple Pay, which is Apple's mobile payment platform debuted at the launch of the iPhone 6. In addition to this, the OS comes with several fixes and features on board, such as SMS Relay, Camera Roll and fixes in Wi-Fi performance.
So here's our customary tutorial on how to download iOS 8.1 for your iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch. Before starting, make sure to backup your device using either iCloud or iTunes. So let's start.
Once you're done with the backup, the next step is to download iOS 8.1 for your device. Click on the appropriate download link below.
- iPad Air 2 (6th generation WiF)
- iPad Air 2 (6th generation Cellular)
- iPad Air (5th generation WiFi + Cellular)
- iPad Air (5th generation WiFi)
- iPad Air (5th generation CDMA)
- iPad (4th generation CDMA)
- iPad (4th generation GSM)
- iPad (4th generation WiFi)
- iPad mini (CDMA)
- iPad mini (GSM)
- iPad mini (WiFi)
- iPad mini 2 (WiFi + Cellular)
- iPad mini 2 (WiFi)
- iPad mini 2 (CDMA)
- iPad mini 3 (CDMA)
- iPad mini 3 (WiFi)
- iPad mini 3 (GSM)
- iPad 3 Wi-Fi (3rd generation)
- iPad 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular (GSM)
- iPad 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular (CDMA)
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi (Rev A)
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G (GSM)
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G (CDMA)
- iPhone 5 (CDMA)
- iPhone 5 (GSM)
- iPhone 5c (CDMA)
- iPhone 5c (GSM)
- iPhone 5s (CDMA)
- iPhone 5s (GSM)
- iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone 4s
- iPod touch (5th generation)
2) Start iTunes And Select The IPSW File You Just Downloaded.
After you're done downloading the file, connect your device to iTunes and start it up. In the device summary menu, Shift Click (Windows) or Alt Click (Mac) the restore device button. This will open up an explorer tab and allow you to select the IPSW file you just downloaded.
And voila. iTunes will do rest of the work and you'll have iOS 8.0.1 installed on your device in no time. And for those of you who don't want to go through the hassle of downloading the files and updating manually, the good news is that Apple's OTA update for iOS 8.0.1 is also available for your device. Just go to Settings > General > Software Update. You'll know what to do next, after you see the following screen.