CoD: Modern Warfare Receives New Battle Pass System Instead of Lootboxes; Won’t be Available at Launch
The Call of Duty: Modern Warfare in-game economy system has been detailed by developer Infinity Ward.
Earlier this week, we already reported that Modern Warfare won’t feature a lootbox system or any kind of supply drops. In a new blog post, developer Infinity Ward has now provided more details about the game’s in-game economics.
Instead of lootboxes, Modern Warfare will receive a Battle Pass system and all function content in the game, including base weapons and attachments, will be unlockable by playing the game. Playing the game will allow players to earn COD points. In order to meet recent game ‘gambling’ regulations, the new Battle Pass System allows players to see the additional content that they will be earning or buying. According to Infinity Ward, Battle Passes will be launch-timed to new, post-launch live seasons but they won’t be available upon the game’s launch next week. The Battle Pass System is slated for a release later this year. No exact date has been provided yet.
“Here’s why: First and foremost, we are all focused on making the Day One experience awesome”, the Call of Duty team explains. “Second, it’s important to us that everyone who is playing Modern Warfare has the chance to work their way through the new game and unlock all the rewards that are waiting for you. We expect to launch this system for Modern Warfare later this year.”
We’ve included the key features of the Battle Pass System below:
- We are introducing a new Battle Pass system, not a loot box system.
- All functional content that has an impact on game balance, such as base weapons and attachments, can be unlocked simply by playing the game.
- The new Battle Pass system will allow players to see the content that they are earning or buying. Battle Passes will launch timed to new, post-launch live seasons, so you can unlock cool new Modern Warfare-themed content that matches each season.
- With the new Battle Pass system, players will be able to earn COD Points by playing the game.
- There will be both a Free Stream and a Premium Stream of content in the Battle Pass System in Modern Warfare. New base weapons will be earned through gameplay, simply by playing Modern Warfare. Functional attachments for base weapons can be unlocked through gameplay as well just like in the game’s Beta.
- The Battle Pass and the In-Game Store will feature a variety of cosmetic content that does not impact game balance.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare will be released next week on October 25th for PC, PS4 and Xbox One.