How to Clean Install tvOS 10 Final on Apple TV Using iTunes
Here’s how you can clean install tvOS 10 final firmware build on Apple TV using iTunes on PC or Mac.
Clean Install tvOS 10 on Apple TV 4 Using iTunes
Over the air (OTA) updates are awesome considering very less effort is involved in installing new firmware builds whenever they are made available. But at times things don’t go as smoothly as one would like whenever you go through an OTA update. Performance issues, for instance, may arise in a number of occasions. Battery life issues as well if you have a mobile device at hand.
But if you want things to be at their best, then the the most optimal route one can take is by opting for a clean install of the firmware. And in today’s guide we’ll show you how to clean install tvOS 10 final on your Apple TV 4 using iTunes on either your PC or Mac.
Clean Install tvOS 10 on Apple TV
1. Download the tvOS 10 final firmware file by clicking on this link. We suggest saving it on your desktop for easy access later on.
2. Once the download is complete, launch iTunes on your PC or Mac.
3. Now connect your Apple TV 4 unit to your computer using a USB-C to Type-A cable. You can easily buy one of these from Amazon or your local retailer. Just make sure you get a high-quality one.
4. Assuming your Apple TV 4 is connected to your computer and powered on, you’ll see your device listed in iTunes in the top left hand corner. Click on it to select.
5. Click on the ‘Restore’ button while holding down the left ‘Shift’ key (Windows) or the left ‘Option’ key (Mac). A new window will come into view asking you to select a firmware file.
6. Select the firmware file you downloaded in step 1 and you’re good to go.
The restoration process won’t take that long and iTunes will throw you a prompt when things are complete.
Once done, simply unplug your Apple TV from your computer and plug it back to your TV set along with the power cable and all. You’re now ready to explore what is new in tvOS 10 on the big screen.
When it comes to incremental updates, we recommend sticking to the over the air method. But if a major update drops, we suggest doing a clean install in order to reap the maximum benefits out of it. The steps for which are outlined above.
Let us know in the comments section what you think about tvOS 10.