Gearbox Software, the developer behind Borderlands, has announced their newest game using a completely new IP. Battleborn is a shooter with MOBA aspects that's currently being developed for the PS4, PC and the Xbox One.
Battleborn brings back the arena FPS and adds some great MOBA style play.
Gearbox Software hasn't been sitting on their hands since the success of their prolific Borderlands trilogy. Instead they've been hard at work on their next IP, Battleborn. Battleborn takes us back to the classic arena style FPS from our past, combining current MOBA styles of gameplay to make for a very unique experience.
There are 25 different playable characters, each with their unique abilities and weapons. Leveling up is handled by what's known as the Helix system, a way of increasing the level of your character dramatically during a mission.
Multiplayer will be served by three different modes that offer distinct challenges that all emphasize teamwork. You can play with up to four friends online, or even in split-screen if on console.
- Incursion: Teams of heroes defend their base from waves of AI-controlled minions while working together, alongside their own minions, to destroy their opponents’ base;
- Devastation: Teams of heroes face off in a fast-paced death match and must capture and hold objectives on the map to win;
- Meltdown: Teams of heroes protect their minions as they march to their death at the center of the map. Points are scored for minions who throw themselves into the incinerator, and the team with the most points wins.
But the emphasis won't just be on co-op or multiplayer. The entire game and campaign can be played solo as well. Loot can be just as enticing for playing alone, if you so wish. But being a MOBA inspired arena FPS, co-op will be the most rewarding.
The leveling system will be persistent and all modes will contribute to the leveling of the character as a whole. They're calling this the Persistent Progression System.
- Persistent Progression System: All experience points, whether earned through playing Battleborn's Story Mode or Competitive Multiplayer modes, contribute to leveling up individual Character Rank, as well as player profile Command Rank:
- Character Rank: Each hero can permanently rank up from 1 to 10 outside of missions and matches, allowing players to swap out augments in their helix skill tree, as well as unlock skins.
- Command Rank: Players can rank-up their own player profile, unlocking badges and titles to impress friends, and loot that can be used to benefit any hero the player chooses to command.
Battleborn is scheduled to be released sometime in 2016, hopefully before April. No concrete release date has been set, however. Gearbox is calling this one of their most ambitious entries into the gaming sphere, meaning that they're putting their heart and soul into its creation. It should turn out to be a pretty fun shooter, then. But who does split-screen anymore?