Apex Legends Season 2 Will be Less Grindy, More Rewarding, New Event Kicks Off Next Week
Apex Legends’ Season 1 Battle Pass was a bit of a drag, with too much grinding for not enough reward. Respawn has admitted as much, and now they’ve revealed some specifics about how they plan to improve the Season 2 Battle Pass. Basically, the grind will be scaled back, with the time requirement for hitting level 100 being much-reduced. Also, more cool stuff, including three more Legendary skins, will be added to the reward track. Here’s a more in-depth rundown of the changes coming:
Daily/Weekly Challenges and Improving the Grind
Starting in Season 2, you’ll be able to complete a mix of Daily and Weekly Challenges to level up your Battle Pass. While we don’t want to introduce wacky challenges that drastically warp the way you play the game, these challenges should provide some interesting variation from game-to-game. This means all players should feel more rapid Battle Pass progression and the journey will hopefully be more fun and interesting. This addition should allow Apex Legends players who can only dedicate a few hours a week to the game to make a very deep cut into their Battle Pass progression.
We’re adding three Legendary items to the Battle Pass and there will now be a Legendary item every 25 Battle Pass levels in the premium track, including at purchase (that’s level 1, level 25, level 50, level 75, and level 100). Our goal is to have a nice balance of cool character exclusives and cosmetics for everyone (like weapon skins). The level 100 reward will be an evolving weapon skin with a special recolor version for those players who make it to level 110.
New Cosmetic Types and No Badge or Stat Tracker Rewards on Premium Path
We removed badges and basic stat trackers completely from the premium Battle Pass rewards track for Season 2. You’ll still get a seasonal badge, but it’ll be a single, evolving badge that won’t take up any additional reward slots! We’ve kept seasonal win trackers in the free path, and they will all be earnable in the first 10 levels. You’ll also be able to earn items from three new content categories in place of badges/trackers. We’ll be revealing details about these categories closer to the launch of Season 2.
Earn Enough Crafting Metals for a Legendary Item
We’re replacing the Voice Lines with Crafting Metal rewards. You’ll now be able to earn enough Crafting Metals (1,200) to craft the Legendary item of your choosing. So, if there’s an existing item you’ve been coveting, you’ll be able to get it in Season 2. You can still get additional Crafting Metals from the various Apex Pack rewards in the Battle Pass as well.
Sounds like a lot of the Battle Pass chaff people complained about is getting the boot – hopefully Respawn gets the work/reward balance right this time! Apex Legends will also be kicking off a limited-time event, The Legendary Hunt, next week. Here’s what it brings to the game:
Apex Elite Queue
- Test yourself against the best with the Apex Elite queue. Make it to the Top 5 in any match to earn your way into a select queue full of other Top 5 winners.
- Here’s the catch: in order to continue playing in the queue you will have to keep placing in the Top 5.
Legendary Hunt Challenge Rewards
- Complete a set of limited-time challenges and earn new Rare, Epic, and Legendary skins.
Double XP Weekend
- From Friday, June 7 at 10 a.m. PST through Monday, June 10 at 10 a.m. PST, earn double XP on base progression and Battle Pass progression.
Battle Pass Bonus XP
- Finish Top 5 in any match and earn an entire Battle Pass level (once per day).
Legendary Hunt Store Skins
- Every three to four days during the event, we’ll have new Legendary Hunt themed skins rotating through the in-game store for direct purchase.
Two Additional Legendary Skins for all Battle Pass Owners
- Players who have the Wild Frontier Battle Pass will get the Legendary Honored Prey R-301 skin.
- Players who reach Battle Pass level 15 before the end of the event will get the Wraith Night Terror Legendary skin.
Apex Legends is free-to-play on PC, Xbox One, and PS4. There’s no set date for Season 2 yet, although Respawn will be sharing new details during the EA Play E3 livestream on June 8.
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter