AMD Takes 10.4% CPU Share From Intel In Q2 2017 In Passmark Survey, Its Largest Quarterly Share Gain In History
AMD has reportedly gained 10.4 percentage points of CPU market share in the second quarter of 2017. This makes it the largest x86 CPU market share gain in the history of the Sunnyvale, California based chip maker against its much larger rival Intel.
The data is courtesy of PassMark's quarterly market share report, which is based on the thousands of submissions that go through the database in any given quarter. It's important to note that because PassMark's market share data is based on benchmark submissions it counts actual systems in use, rather than systems sold. It also does not include consoles or any computer systems running operating systems other than Windows.
|CPU Share||Q4 2016||Q1 2017||Q2 2017|
- This graph counts the baselines submitted to us during these time period and therefore is representative of CPUs in use rather than CPUs purchased.
- The Quarters are by the calendar year rather than financial. (i.e. Q1 starts January 1st)
- Baselines can be submitted from anywhere therefore these are global statistics.
- We do receive a small number of submissions of CPU types other than AMD and Intel however the percentage is so small as to make it not worth graphing. This combined with rounding off the percentages to 2 decimal places will account for each quarter not always adding up to exactly 100%.
- This chart only includes x86 processors and does not include other chip architectures these manufacturers may sell.
- This chart only includes CPUs installed into PCs and does not include game consoles.
- As the PerformanceTest software only runs on Windows OS and counts on user submitting their benchmarks. This chart may be non reflective of non Windows user base.
Ryzen May Be The Most Successful Product Launch In AMD's History
AMD now commands 31% of the market, which constitutes the largest CPU share level the company has reached in a decade. Only a quarter back the company was sitting at 20.6%. A 10%+ share gain in a single quarter is unheard of in the x86 CPU market and truly reflects the magnitude of this achievement for AMD.
In Q1 2017 the company had only gained 2.2% in the same market, largely due to the fact that only half of AMD's desktop Ryzen SKUs had been available in the market and only in the last month of the quarter. The initial launch was also hamstrung by a shortage of AM4 motherboards. The second quarter however was dramatically different. Today, AM4 motherboards are consistently in-stock and there are more than twice as many Ryzen processors to choose from.
AMD Ryzen CPU Lineup
|AMD Ryzen CPU Model||Cores/Threads||Base Clock||Boost Clock||L3 Cache||TDP||MSRP|
|Ryzen 7 1800X||8/16||3.6 GHz||4.0 GHz||16 MB||95W||$499 US|
|Ryzen 7 1700X||8/16||3.4 GHz||3.8 GHz||16 MB||95W||$399 US|
|Ryzen 7 1700||8/16||3.0 GHz||3.7 GHz||16 MB||65W||$329 US|
|Ryzen 5 1600X||6/12||3.6 GHz||4.0 GHz||16 MB||95W||$249 US|
|Ryzen 5 1600||6/12||3.2 GHz||3.6 GHz||16 MB||65W||$219 US|
|Ryzen 5 1500X||4/8||3.5 GHz||3.7 GHz||16 MB||65W||$189 US|
|Ryzen 5 1400||4/8||3.2 GHz||3.4 GHz||8 MB||65W||$169 US|
The Ryzen 7 family had been available on sale throughout the second quarter and AMD supplemented the lineup with Ryzen 5 SKUs in the middle of the quarter. Towards the end of Q2 AMD has also introduced Epyc, Pro Ryzen parts and is soon introducing Ryzen 3. Additionally, in Q3 AMD is expected to launch its ultra high-end Threadripper lineup and mobile Ryzen parts, all of which will undoubtedly contribute to more market share gains in Q3. The Zen microarchitecture is AMD's rising star and it's clearly showing.
AMD Grew Its CPU Userbase By 53% In A Single Quarter
In the time period between the 1st of April 2017 and the 30th of June this year the AMD CPU installed base grew from 20.3%, excluding consoles, to 31%. This represents an accumulative growth of 53%. There are more computer users buying and using AMD processors today than there have been in the past 10 years. With Zen's impending introduction in the mobile and high-end desktop markets we can only predict that this userbase will continue to grow.
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter