Electronic Arts (NASDAQ: EA) Quarterly Results for Q1 Fiscal Year 2017 – Beats Expectations And Posts Net Earnings of 2 Cents Per Share
EA (NASDAQ: EA 86.54 -0.13%) has managed to beat analysts expectations for the 13th straight quarter. Electronic Arts reported (non-GAAP) EPS of $0.07 and revenues of $682 million. Analyst consensus had an EPS estimate of $(0.02) and revenues of $651.29 million. On the GAAP side, the company has posted an EPS of $1.4 on revenue of $440 Million.
Electronic Arts (NASDAQ: EA 86.54 -0.13%) beats expectation for the 13th consecutive quarter – Battlefield and Star Wars remain EA’s most successful titles
“Q1 was a great quarter for Electronic Arts with amazing engagement in our global communities,” said Chief Executive Officer Andrew Wilson. “EA is leading our industry through innovation, with more of our biggest games powered by Frostbite, breakthrough EA SPORTS titles on console and mobile, and the unstoppable combination of Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2 coming this holiday. We’re looking forward to connecting more players around the world to each other through the games they love to play.”
The company has stated that it expects to sell 15 Million copies of the upcoming Battlefield 1 in the first year whereas it expects Titanfall 2 to sell 10 million copies. Its worth noting that interest for the original Titanfall has almost died down due to the fact that the original lacked any single player campaign as well as game breaking bugs in the multiplayer. EA has allegedly fixed these problems with Titanfall 2 but the PR problem might prove to be a difficult one to overcome.
That said, the company’s EA (NASDAQ: EA 86.54 -0.13%) Access subscription based service has seen very strong growth year over year and has more than doubled in number compared to last year. The upcoming console refresh should also help bolster sales this year. The Battlefield franchise remains the most popular of EA’s titles at 11 Million+ unique users strong this quarter. This was followed by the Star Wars Battlefront title with more than 6.6 Million unique users.
Selected Operating Highlights and Metrics:
- The Battlefield™ franchise, led by Battlefield 4™, had more than 11.5 million unique players during Q1.
- Star Wars™ Battlefront™ had more than 6.6 million unique players in Q1.
- Madden NFL 16 unique players increased more than 20% year-over-year during Q1.
- Madden NFL Mobile had 25% more monthly active players in Q1 over last year.
- Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes players averaged nearly 2.5 hours of gameplay per day in Q1.
- EA titles shown at EA PLAY and E3 garnered 81 awards, including the Best Action Game for Battlefield 1 and Best Online Multiplayer for Titanfall® 2 from the E3 Game Critics.
- The EA Access subscriber base more than doubled year-over-year in Q1.
Selected Financial Highlights EA (NASDAQ: EA 86.54 -0.13%) :
- For the quarter, GAAP net revenue of $1.271 billion was above guidance of $1.250 billion. Of the total GAAP net revenue 54%, or $689 million, was digital. Diluted GAAP EPS of $1.40 was above guidance of $1.30.
- For the quarter, change in deferred net revenue was ($589) million of which ($121) million was digital.
- For the quarter, non-GAAP net revenue of $682 million was above guidance of $640 million. Of the total non-GAAP net revenue 83%, or $568 million, was digital. Diluted nonGAAP EPS of $0.07 was above guidance of ($0.05).
- EA repurchased 1.9 million shares in Q1 for $129 million.
Second Quarter Fiscal Year 2017 Expectations
- GAAP net revenue is expected to be approximately $915 million.
- Change in deferred net revenue is expected to be approximately $160 million.
- GAAP net loss is expected to be approximately ($51) million.
- GAAP loss per share is expected to be approximately ($0.17).
- The Company (NASDAQ: EA 86.54 -0.13%) estimates a GAAP basic and diluted share count of 302 million shares due to a forecasted net loss. If the Company reports net income instead of a net loss, diluted share count for calculating diluted earnings per share would be 315 million shares.
|Period||Q1 FY16||Q1 FY17||Q1 FY16||Q1 FY17|
|Gross Profit Margin||85.6%||85.9%||76.8%||75.8%|
|Operating Margin||42.6%||44.1%||8.7%||5.0 %|
|Diluted Earnings Per Share||$1.32||$1.40||$0.15||$0.07|
|Operating Cash Flow||($71)||($248)|