Windows 10 Mobile Build 10512 is Out – Here are All the Details and Expected Issues
It's been over a month since the last Windows 10 Mobile Preview build was released to Insider members. Microsoft has finally rolled out the highly expected Windows 10 Mobile build 10512 to Fast ring members today, as Gabe Aul had promised earlier.
- Recommended: Speed up Windows 10 and Fix Slow Boot-Up Issues
Windows 10 Mobile Preview 10512 released:
Microsoft launched the Windows 10 for desktops on July 29. By now, millions of computers have been upgraded to the latest operating system thanks to the free upgrade roll-out strategy. However, mobile operating system will still take a few months until it is finally released to users later this year. We have already seen Windows 10 Mobile build 10166 coming to both the Fast and Slow ring members. The last updates brought some significant changes to the mobile operating system but 10166 focused on patching issues.
Building on this, current Windows 10 Mobile Preview build is also expected to provide a stable and smooth experience to the users instead of adding new functionality. As you can see, 105xx is a huge jump over the last Windows 10 10166 making us curious about the new things that this latest build might have added to the OS along with the ton of bug fixes. Don't get too excited though as we have entered in the last phase of development where Microsoft is more concerned about the quality and stability over anything else. Microsoft had also claimed last month that the operating system is "significantly feature complete," hinting that the remaining builds will focus on performance improvements and bug fixes.
What's new in Windows 10 Mobile 10512:
- General improvement in overall stability and performance.
- You can now set the Lock screen and background image from within the Photos app.
- We fixed an issue where apps installed on SD cards weren’t working after a reboot.
- We have improved Latvian and Chinese inputs.
- We have made improvements to the Kid’s Corner tile layout.
- We have improved reliability of Data Sense notifications.
- Modified Shape Writing algorithm to be less aggressive in suggesting contact names over common words.
- Resolved an issue where Camera would not launch when the phone was locked.
- We fixed an issue where notifications for incoming text messages weren’t appearing.
- We fixed an issue where the touch screen wouldn’t be responsive after ending a phone call on some devices.
- And we fixed an issue where folder tiles have obviously overlapping text.
The Insider preview build is now ready to be downloaded for the users who are part of the Windows Insider program. You can get this latest build from Settings > Phone Update. Check for the new updates and install it. Be aware that this is Preview build still plagued with tons of errors and compatibility issues. Microsoft has detailed some of the Windows 10 Mobile 10512 errors in the release notes:
- Mobile hotspot doesn’t work in this build. When sharing the Internet from your phone using Mobile Hotspot, devices will fail to get a valid IP address from your phone and will show no internet access.
- Two-factor authentication for your MSA with a phone number doesn’t work in this build. If you reset your phone and go through the first run experience, you won’t be able to input more than 2 characters for validating phone or text authentication. If you have a secondary email for two-factor authentication – you can choose that. As a workaround, add secondary email for two-factor authentication.
- Some phones might spend a long time in the post update migration experience – just let the phone sit and it should complete this migration.
- Apps that use background audio such as Groove, Podcast, Pandora, etc. will crash when launching after receiving an app update from the Store. Rebooting the device will resolve this issue.
- Some phones with a large number of tiles pinned to the Start screen may get stuck in a state where the device shows “Loading…”; the device will need to be reset or rolled back to Windows Phone 8.1 using Windows Phone Recovery Tool.
- Some apps may fail to update through the Store with the error code 0x80073cf9; uninstalling the application and reinstalling it will resolve this issue.
- The Movies & TV app will not work in this build (video playback is currently broken).
Make sure that you are ready for all the errors that might come up while you use the current build. We will keep you guys posted about any new features and errors discovered in the latest build. Don't forget to share with other readers if you spot something interesting in 10512.
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter