PS4 Firmware Update 2.0: New Home Screen Screenshots Revealed – Tons of New Info on Upcoming Enhancements and More
Sony has been fairly passive in releasing new upgrades and features for its latest PlayStation 4 console through firmware updates, however, after listening to users’ feedback, it looks like the manufacturer is planning to cram the upcoming major PS4 firmware update 2.0, that is codenamed Masamune, with several new features such as Share Play, YouTube Support, and new selections that improve the basic UI of the console by adding new home screen enhancements and customization options. Sony recently shared lots of new screenshots and details about some of the upcoming features including dashboard customization, USB music player, content sorting and more. Take a look below.
Sony Releases New PS4 Firmware Update 2.0 Enhanced Home Screen Screenshots - Update Will Add USB Music Player, Dashboard Customization, Improved Content Sorting and More
The list of features and upgrades that the upcoming highly anticipated PS4 firmware update 2.0 will come packed with is growing continuously with privileges that many users have asked for ever since the console’s launch last year. This time, Sony has announced some more new elements including further home screen selection and dashboard customization options as well as easier ways to sort and filter your game library contents on the console. In addition to the ability to add a new theme, players will be able to change the background color of their console’s home screen from light blue to one of seven new colors.
Sony recently posted the details and screenshots of these new features on PlayStation Blog. Below is all the info that Sony shared with gamers. Let’s take a look at what new has the Japanese platform holder come up with.
- USB Music Player: PS4 owners can play their own music in the background while playing a game using USB Music Player*. After inserting a USB stick loaded with music into the PS4, a new option for USB Music Player will appear. Supported filename extensions include MP3, MP4, M4A, and 3GP.
- Change colors: In addition to the ability to add a theme, PS4 owners can also change the background of the home screen from light blue to one of seven new colors: gold, blue, red, green, purple, pink, and gray.
- Players You May Know: PS4 will now suggest players you may know as potential friends in the ‘What’s New’ section.
- Enhancements to Live Broadcasting: Masamune brings a variety of improvements to live broadcasting on PS4. In the Live From PlayStation app, PS4 owners can now select a Featured channel, which includes official broadcasts from PlayStation, broadcasts from people on a players friend list, and any game channel that the player has followed. Additionally, Live From PlayStation now has filters for searching broadcasts on a specific game, as well as support for archived broadcasts.
- Content Area and Library: PS4’s Content Area, which shows the latest games and apps a PS4 owner has used, has been redesigned to help make it easier to quickly find and access content. It now shows 15 of a player’s most used apps or games, and additional items will be added to a player’s Library. The Library on PS4 has improved filter and sort functions to help organize contented by type (game / app / TV & video), name (a – z or z – a), recently used, or install date.
- Enhanced Voice Commands: The ability to control PS4 using voice has been improved. Players can now say ‘PlayStation’ to begin commands, and ‘All Commands,’ to see a list of all voice command options available. New voice commands were added for live broadcasting, including “Start broadcast,” “End broadcast,” and “Find face.”
- Add To Library: The monthly free PlayStation Plus games will have an ‘Add to Library’ button in the PlayStation Store. This button will add a game to a PS4 owner’s library without downloading it – saving space on their hard drive.
Correction: Back Up Data, a feature listed in an earlier version of this post, is not part of PS4 system software 2.00.