Nintendo Switch Firmware 9.0 To Release Soon; To Add SNES Controller Support
A new Nintendo Switch firmware update is going to be released soon, as hinted by Nintendo on its official store.
During yesterday's Nintendo Direct, the Japanese company confirmed that 20 SNES games will be playable for Nintendo Switch Online subscribers through the SNES - Nintendo Switch Online app. Alongside the new addition to the online service, Nintendo also announced SNES controllers. According to the official UK store, support for these controllers will be added to Nintendo Switch with the 9.0 firmware update.
- Each package contains one Super Nintendo Entertainment System Controller and one USB cable.
- Orders are limited to four controllers per Nintendo Account.
A system update (9.0 NUP) is required in order to use Super Nintendo Entertainment System Controllers with your Nintendo Switch console.
The 9.0 update will surely add more features to the console, but details are scarce at the moment. A release date for the firmware update has also yet to be announced, but it's likely coming close to the release of the Nintendo Switch Lite.
The Nintendo Switch 8.0 firmware update introduced a sort software functionality, new icons and more.
Nintendo Switch firmware update 8.0 release notes
Added the following system functionality:
- A Sort Software feature is available after selecting to view All Software from the HOME Menu
- Software can be sorted by time last played, total play time, software title, and software publisher
- The All Software option displays when there are 13 or more software icons on the HOME Menu
- A View All Available News option is available within News, allowing you to view all news items currently being distributed
- Go to News > Channel List > View More
- Select from 15 new icons from the Splatoon™ 2 and Yoshi’s Crafted World™ games for your user
- To edit your user icon, head to your My Page on the top left of the HOME Menu > Profile
- A feature to Transfer Your Save Data is now available, allowing you to transfer your save data for individual games between your Nintendo Switch systems
- Go to System Settings > Data Management > Transfer Your Save Data
- Save data will not remain on your source system after the transfer process completes
- A Zoom feature can be enabled from within System Settings
- Go to System Settings > System to turn Zoom ON
- Once enabled, you can use the Zoom feature by pressing the HOME Button twice
- An option is available to prevent the system from waking from Sleep Mode when an AC adapter is disconnected
- Go to System Settings > Sleep Mode > Wake When AC Adapter is Disconnected
- This also applies when undocking your console
- A VR Mode (3D Visuals) restriction is available within Parental Controls
- This will also be available in the Nintendo Switch Parental Controls app through a later update
- Go to System Settings > Parental Controls
- These settings can also be changed from within Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 04: VR Kit
- Hong Kong / Taiwan / South Korea is available for selection in Region
- Go to System Settings > System > Region
- The following names have been changed (functionality remains the same)
- Save Data Cloud Backup > Save Data Cloud
- Transfer Your User and Save Data > Transfer Your User Data
General system stability improvements to enhance the user’s experience.
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter