Windows 10 10547 is Out – Improvements to Start, Tablet Mode and Text Input
Microsoft's Gabriel Aul had tweeted yesterday that we won't be seeing any new builds this week as the company tries to avoid "Friday drops," however, guess what just arrived? A new Windows 10 Insider Preview build!
We shared with you screenshots of Windows 10 10540 last night along with its leaked release notes. As the company continues to make improvements to the operating system, we are seeing an increasing focus on the bugs being killed. Release notes had revealed that the Windows 10 10540 also fixes a ton of bugs and issues being faced by the users. Windows 10 10547 comes only a couple of weeks after the Windows 10 Insider Preview 10532 that was released at the end of August.
Those who are members of Windows 10 Insider Program can now install this latest build in the Fast ring, via Windows Update. Following are all the new features, improvements, and of course, the known issues that Windows 10 10547 brings in along with fixing 10532 bugs.
Windows 10 10547 improvements:
- Start Menu: Windows 10 now supports more than 512 tiles in the Start. Happy? The number is now up to a massive 2048 tiles! Start also adds the capability of having a 4th column now.
- Tablet mode: Windows 10 10547 also brings some improvements to the tablet mode, including the ability to snap apps to left and right, and replace previously snapped apps.
- Windows background picture can now be turned off from Settings > Personalization > Lock screen > Show Windows background picture on the sign-in screen.
- App updates: Various apps have been updated, including the Photos app which now introduces a new folder view to see OneDrive or PC folders. Xbox app, Mail, Calendars, and Groove have also received updates.
Windows 10 Insider Preview 10547 also offers text input panel improvements, additional punctuation support, and improved suggestions. For developers, this build includes Object RTC in Edge. According to Microsoft, "ORTC APIs enable real-time audio and video communications directly inside Microsoft Edge without the need to install any plugins."
As with every test build, 10547 also carries its own set of issues which are shared below. Expect to experience more troubles on the way as these builds are only for testing purposes. Which is why it's always advised to not install Insider builds on your primary devices.
Windows 10 10547 known issues:
- Language packs are being published, but will be rolling out to the update servers throughout the day.
- Windows Store apps may not update automatically. To receive app updates, open the Store, click on your profile picture at the top right, choose “Download and updates” and check for updates manually.
- Using Notepad.exe from the command line to open files when using only a file name, such as ‘file.txt’, will fail with a permissions error. This will be fixed in a future build, but this can be worked around by using a full or partial path, such as ‘.\file.txt’, or using File->Open options in the UI.
- Clicking on the system icons in the notification area quickly can result in Windows Shell blocking the launch of fly-outs like Audio, Networking, etc. This can be resolved by rebooting your PC.
- You will see a warning message in the Settings app > Update & Security > Windows Update regarding preview builds. Don’t worry about this – It is safe to ignore for now. We’re adding some new functionality to help you diagnose what’s going on if a new build isn’t getting to you, but it’s not fully implemented yet.
For more, Microsoft
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter