Root Google Pixel 3a Using Magisk [Tutorial]
The Google Pixel 3a is definitely one of the most sought after devices that Google is offering; if you want the Pixel experience but cannot afford to pay top dollar, you can opt for the 3a for pretty much the same experience, but with somewhat toned down specifications. While this might sound like a trade-off, it is not as the vanilla Android experience remains just as optimized and runs without any issues, whatsoever.
That being said, the Pixel series of phones are known for having one of the finest developer support in the market, and the best part is that you can easily root the devices, as well. if you own a Google Pixel 3a and you are looking forward to rooting it, we are going to look at the method that will allow you to do so.
Note: Currently, TWRP cannot be installed on Android 10. Therefore, this process is only for rooting your device.
Using Magisk to Root Google Pixel 3a
The rooting process is not that difficult, to begin with. However, you are going to need to unlock the bootloader, which will wipe your device's internal storage. So, be sure that you have backed up your device before you begin.
Prerequisites to Download
In order to have a seamless rooting experience, I would suggest you download all the files beforehand so you do not have to worry about.
- Download and install ADB, fastboot, and Android drivers from here.
- Download and install the latest Magisk Manager from here.
- Download the latest firmware for your device from here and make sure that the build number of the firmware matches the one on your device.
Step 1: Unlocking the Bootloader
Naturally, you will need to unlock the bootloader of your device. Now doing so will wipe all your data. However, thanks to Google, you will not be voiding your warranty while doing so. However, we would still strongly recommend you check with your carrier about the warranty status. The steps to unlock the bootloader are simple.
- Go to Settings > About Phone and tap the build number 7 times or before you get a message saying that the Developer options are enabled.
- Go back to the menu and you will find Developer options right above the About Phone.
- In Developer options look for OEM unlocking toggle and tap that and also turn on USB Debugging.
- Now connect your phone to the PC.
- Open the command prompt anywhere on your computer and type in the following command adb reboot bootloader.
- The phone will turn off and you will be in the Fastboot mode.
- Next up, type in the following command to unlock the bootloader fastboot flashing unlock.
- Your phone will display a new screen, telling you all about the bootloader unlocking process. Simply press select Yes using the power button.
- The bootloader will be unlocked and your device will restart. In case it does not, you will be back in the Fastboot mode, you can get out of that mode by navigating using volume keys and restarting your device using the power button.
That is it, you have successfully unlocked the bootloader. The next step is to root the device. The process does not take a long time.
Step 2: Rooting the Pixel 3a Using Magisk
The rooting process is fairly easy for the PIxel 3a, and is in line with how you would flash a firmware on other devices. Let's look at what you will have to do.
- Extract the firmware that you downloaded.
- Now look for the boot.img and copy it to your phone's storage.
- If the Magisk Manager is not installed on your phone, install it and then launch it.
- Now you will have to tap on the Install button and do it again. Once that is done, choose Select and Patch a File.
- Navigate to where you have the boot.img on your phone and select it.
- The Magisk Manager will patch the file, and put it in the Downloads folder as magisk_patched.img.
- Take the file and place it on your computer's desktop.
- Open Command Prompt on your desktop by pressing shift and right-click, and then choosing the CMD or Powershell from the drop down menu.
- Once that is done, type the following command adb reboot bootloader and press enter.
- Your phone will boot into the Fastboot mode.
- Once there, type fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img and press enter. This will begin the flashing process.
- Once that is complete, type fastboot reboot and your phone will reboot.
The rebooting process will only take a few, and once it boots up, you will be presented by the setup screen if you have not setup your phone beforehand. Your phone will be rooted and ready to be used.
If you ever want to unroot your device, you can simply flash the unpatched boot.img and you'd be good to go.
Products mentioned in this post
The links above are affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, Wccftech.com may earn from qualifying purchases.