How to Unbrick Galaxy S3
Often times, Android devices get bricked during rooting, installation of custom recoveries or flashing of custom ROMs. Bricking has two types: soft and hard brick. While hard brick cannot be fixed without OEM support, you can unbrick the soft brick easily. If you have US variant Samsung Galaxy S3, here is a fix for you: simply install the stock boot image and you’ll be reverted back to working status.
Note: this fix is just for GSM boot image bricked device, and only for US variant of Samsung Galaxy S3.
Prerequisites: use windows PC and also install USB drivers for your Galaxy S3 on the computer.
How to unbrick Galaxy S3:
Required files: download Odin3 from this link and stock image according to your carrier. Do not extract the file though. T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 stock image, AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 stock image, and Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 stock image.
- Unzip the Odin file and run the .exe file with Admin rights.
- In Odin check Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time. Make sure that Re-Partition is unchecked. Do not make any other changes in Odin.
- Turn your Samsung Galaxy S3 off and reboot the device into download mode: press and hold Home + Volume down buttons and then press the Power button for some 2 seconds until a warning screen shows up. Now press Volume Up which will take you to downloading mode.
- Once you are in download mode, plug the Galaxy S3 to PC using USB cable. If connected successfully, Odin will detect the device, ID:COM will turn yellow and a message saying ADDED!! will appear.
- Now click on PDA button in Odin screen and locate the .tar file that you downloaded earlier according to carrier. Click on Start button to initiate installation.
- Once the installation is completed successfully, your US Galaxy S3 will reboot itself. You will also see a message saying PASS in Odin.
- Now you can disconnect your device from the computer.
That's it! Hope you got your Samsung Galaxy S3 unbricked following this step by step guide.