How to Install Stock Firmware on Galaxy S8, S8 Plus Using Smart Switch
Thanks to the open source nature of the Android operating system, we can tinker around with our devices in many ways. From flashing custom recoveries to custom ROMs, the options are nearly limitless. However, like everything else in life, things do tend to go wrong now and then. Even seasoned veterans have had their share of mishaps, and it's not something that can be avoided.
Today, we'll take a look at how to flash the stock ROM on your Galaxy S8, S8+ and Note 8. The process is essential to recovering your phone after a failed attempt at, let's say, flashing an unofficial Oreo build for your device. There are two ways of going about this, one that involves manually flashing the ROM using ODIN and the other using Samsung's Smart Switch software. In this guide, we'll focus on the latter. The process will wipe all data off of your device, so make sure you have it backed up before proceeding.
- Download Smart Switch from its official website and install it. The software works on both Windows-based computers and Macs.
- Install the software and run it. Connect your smartphone to your PC/Mac via USB cable.
- It'll be a minute before Smart Switch recognizes your device, and once it does, you'll be able to see it on the screen.
- To install the Stock firmware, navigate to the option by clicking the button on the top right of the UI Emergency Software Recovery.
- Now select Software update and Initialisation form the next screen.
- The process is pretty much automatic after this. Smart Switch will find the correct firmware, download and install it on your device. All you need to do is follow the on-screen instructions.
- The whole process might take a while, considering that a firmware file is around a gigabyte in size, so please remain patient. You may risk permanently damaging your device if the process is interrupted midway.
- Once the process is complete, your phone should reboot and take you to your home screen, with the Stock firmware installed.
The process may or may not work on older devices, depending on compatibility with Smart Switch. The application can also be used for other purposes such as transferring app data, settings etc from an old device to a new one.
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter