How the Install Android Pie on the Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S (GUIDE)
Android Pie is out for the Mi Mix 2S but isn’t available OTA just yet. The update is available online and needs to be sideloaded manually. Here’s how you go about it. Do NOT attempt the process if you’re new to sideloading updates. Incorrectly attempting the process may result in loss of data and even a hard brick.
- Unlock your bootloader by requesting the code from here. It could take up to a week for you to get the unlock code.
- Install the Mi PC SUITE, and Download Mi Flash.
- Once you’ve received the code, head over to Settings—> About phone—> MIUI Version. Tap on MIUI version about nine times until the on-screen prompt says “you are now a developer.”
- Navigate to Settings—> Additional settings—> Developer option and log in with the same Mi account you requested the bootloader unlock for, under Mi Unlock Status. Also, check the “Enable USB Debugging” button while you’re in the Developer options.
- Enter the device recovery by pressing the Power and Volume down button at the same time.
- Log into the unlocking tool on PC with the same Mi account. Connect the device to the PC using a USB cable.
- Press ‘Unlock’ and follow the waiting period shown in Mi Unlock Tool to unlock successfully.
- Once your bootloader is unlocked, you’ll need a custom recovery (TWRP is the best of the lot) to proceed.
- For that, you’ll need to set up ADB and Fastboot on your computer.
- Download TWRP and keep the file at a handy location.
- Run a command prompt/terminal application on your device and check if adb recognizes your devices by typing “adb devices”. If you see your device listed, you’re good, if not, make sure that your PC/Mac is able to read the device properly and that you have ADB and fastboot set up properly.
- Now type “adb reboot bootloader” and wait until you see the device bootloader screen.
- Now, type “fastboot flash recovery twrp.img” and wait for the process to complete.
- Once done, type “fastboot reboot” and press the Power and Volume down button at the same time to access TWRP. This is to allow TWRP to patch the stock ROM to prevent the stock ROM from replacing TWRP.
- Select the “reboot” option from TWRP, select “system” and wait for the device to boot into Android.
- Download Gapps (ARM64>9.0>Stock) and the Android Pie ROM
- Transfer the MIUI 10 ROM and GApps package from your PC to your phone.
- From the terminal, type “adb reboot recovery” and wait for the device to boot into TWRP.
- Once you have booted into TWRP, tap on “Wipe” and then “swipe to factory reset” to do a factory reset.
- Tap on “Install” and find where you stored the MIUI 10 ROM. Select it and flash it.
- Tap “back” and then flash the Google apps package.
- Reboot the phone, and you should be running Android Pie.
Products mentioned in this post