Google Rolls out May security patch to Pixel/Nexus devices, factory images live
While everyone waits with bated breath for Google I/O tomorrow, we shouldn’t forget about Google’s monthly security patches, that they release in the first week of every month. Like clockwork, Google has released the May security patch for Pixel and Nexus devices, which will be rolled out OTA over the next few days. The patch brings several bug fixes and security updates for Pixel and Nexus devices.
There are seven issues resolved in the May security patch dated 2018-05-01 and 16 for 2018-05-05. Vulnerabilities range from high to critical, with the most severe relating to the media framework and possibly permitting a remote attacker to execute arbitrary code through a “crafted file.”, which seems to be a recurring theme in these updates.
As usual, Google notes that there are no reports of customers being affected by these security issues. Google cited in its 2017 year in review of Android security that 30% more devices are getting patches compared to 2016. The dedicated bulletin for Google’s phones and tablets lists 34 security fixes and only 2 functional updates compared to April’s 56. The first applies to improved multi-touch detection on all devices, which was a lingering issue with the Pixel 2 XL. The older Pixel XL receives a charging fix, presumably the problem which caused the charger to draw more current than the device could handle.
The full download and OTA links are below. You can either wait for the update to hit your device OTA or sideload it. We recommend the former as it shouldn’t be long before the OTAs are rolled out. Following are the download links, should you decide to sideload the patch:
- Pixel 2 XL: Android 8.1 —OPM2.171019.029.B1, OPM4.171019.016.B1 — Factory Image (2) — OTA (2)
- Pixel 2: Android 8.1 — OPM2.171019.029.B1, OPM4.171019.016.B1 — Factory Image (2) — OTA (2)
- Pixel XL: Android 8.1 — OPM4.171019.016.B1 — Factory Image — OTA
- Pixel: Android 8.1 — OPM4.171019.016.B1 — Factory Image — OTA
- Pixel C: Android 8.1 — OPM4.171019.016.C1 — Factory Image — OTA
- Nexus 6P: Android 8.1 — OPM2.171019.029.A1 — Factory Image — OTA
- Nexus 5X: Android 8.1 — OPM4.171019.016.A1 — Factory Image — OTA