Gears of War: Ultimate Edition – PC Version is not a Port, Looks “Mindblowing” at 4K
Giuseppe Nelva has made available an awesome video showcasing a cinematic cutscene from the upcoming Gears of War: Ultimate Edition. It features some impressive direct feed, 1080p footage of the game, which can be viewed below:
The PC version of Gears of War: Ultimate Edition is not a port with all the content being "authored at a much higher rate"
Gears of War developer, The Coalition emphasized that the PC version is not a port. It’s enhanced greatly, and all the content is “authored at a much higher rate.” There are 4K textures all the way through the environment and for the PC they could just “turn off those clamps and unlock it fully, and the world just becomes super crisp.”
The team tested the game at 4K on a 70" TV and it was “mindblowing.” According to Fergusson, at $39.99 it’s a great deal to go back and get ready for Gears of War 4.
You can view a Video Recap from the SDCC Panel for Gears of War Ultimate Edition below:
Gears of War: Ultimate Edition will make use of DX12 for improved performance and graphical fidelity
Being an exclusive Windows 10 release, Gears of War: Ultimate Edition will of course make use of DirectX 12 for improved performance and graphical fidelity, which will be especially beneficial when aiming to play at 4K at 60 frames per second and higher. For more on that, we spoke to Rod Fergusson, studio manager of The Coalition, Microsoft’s new Gears of War development studio.
GEARS OF WAR: ULTIMATE EDITION
The story of “Gears of War” thrusts gamers into a deep and harrowing battle for survival against the Locust Horde, a nightmarish race of creatures that surfaced from the bowels of the planet. Players live and breathe the role of Marcus Fenix. A disgraced former war hero, Marcus seeks personal redemption as he leads his fire team against an onslaught of merciless warriors from below.
- Remastered for Dolby 7.1 Surround
- 90 mins of new campaign content from the original PC game
- New Xbox Live achievements (1,250 Gamerscore)
- Concept art gallery and unlockable comics
- Modernized Multiplayer featuring:
- 60 frames per second
- Dedicated servers
- Skill-based matchmaking
- New game types - Team Deathmatch, King of the Hill (Gears of War 3 style), and new 2v2 Gnasher Execution
- Total of 19 maps, including all DLC and PC-exclusive maps
- 17 unlockable Gears of War 3 characters for Multiplayer progression
- More Match customization including Actives, Respawn Time, Self-revive and Weapon Respawn
- Modernized gameplay with smoother movement and updated controls:
- Alternate Controls and all new Tournament Controls
- All controls tuned for Xbox One
- Adding the Gears of War 3 features you love: Enemy Spotting,
- Multiplayer Tac-Com, Improved sensitivity customization
We will bring you any new information on Gears of War: Ultimate Edition and any other Gears related news as soon as it becomes available.
You can watch some gameplay from the Xbox One Beta below, as well as a gameplay interview from IGN with director Rod Fergusson.