You Can Easily Enable Fingerprint Sensor on US Edition Sony Xperia XZ and X Compact – Here’s How
Sony’s latest Xperia XZ and X Compact both come with a fingerprint scanner. However, for some weird reason the sensor is disabled on the US editions of these phones. Luckily, there is a way to easily get the sensor working even if it’s officially disabled. Following guide will help you to enable fingerprint sensor on Sony Xperia XZ and X Compact.
How to enable fingerprint sensor on Sony Xperia XZ and X Compact
Fingerprint authentication provides an easier and quicker way to unlock your phone. Those who are used to this method of unlocking their phones might find it tiresome to go back to entering passcodes or drawing patterns. Annoyed with no fingerprint sensor on your brand new Sony Xperia XZ and X Compact? Don't worry, there's an easy fix.
Apparently, fingerprint on Sony’s latest devices is disabled at the firmware level. Which means you can easily enable fingerprint sensor on Xperia XZ and Xperia X Compact by flashing the UK version of the firmware on your US devices (or any other international versions where the scanner may be disabled.)
All you have to do is:
- Back up your phone as flashing firmware wipes all the data.
- Download Flashtool on your PC.
- In Xperiafirm, find and download the UK firmware for your own device model. From the downloaded folder, delete the fwinfo.xml file.
- Now, using the Flashtool, convert the firmware folder into a single .ftf file that could be flashed on your device.
- Turn off your phone and open Flashtool.
- Hold the Volume Down key and connect your phone to the PC.
- Once detected on the Flashtool, click the flash icon (lightning) and select Flash Mode.
- Choose the .ftf file you created and confirm the flashing process.
- Once done, unplug your phone.
You will now see this new addition in your Settings menu.
Note: please proceed at your own risk. You can find more details about the above method in this XDA thread, the source of this guide.
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter