How to Connect Samsung DeX to the External Display
Samsung recently launched the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ smartphones, but these two were not the only products by the company that attracted eyeballs. Samsung’s version of Microsoft’s Continuum – named as Samsung DeX also received its fair share of attention. Samsung’s DeX station allows your Galaxy S8/Galaxy S8+ to turn your external display into a PC with the help of USB and HDMI ports.
If you’ve been among the ones drooling over Samsung’s DeX and have already got it on your desk, then here is a guide that will help you in setting it up.
Pre-requisites for Samsung DeX
Before you go ahead with the process, here is a checklist of products that you would need in place to use Samsung DeX. Firstly, you need an external display monitor, TV, or a projector – whatever you have. Secondly, you would need an HDMI cable, keyboard, mouse, and Samsung’s fast charger that comes with the Galaxy S8/Galaxy S8+. If you have wireless peripherals like keyboard and mouse, then it would make your DeX experience better by freeing up the USB ports and making use of the wireless (Bluetooth) connectivity. After making sure of all the pre-requisites, follow the process given below to set up your DeX station.
Here are the steps for setting up Samsung DeX:
- Connect Samsung DeX to your display (monitor, TV, or projector) through an HDMI cable
- Insert Samsung’s fast charger into the DeX and then connect your keyboard and mouse (for USB keyboard and mouse – connect it to the respective USB ports on DeX)
- For wireless keyboard and mouse, you would first need to pair it to your Galaxy S8/Galaxy S8+. If your peripherals lack Android connectivity and have a USB dongle instead, then you just need to make use of the USB-C to USB adapter that comes with your Galaxy S8/Galaxy S8+ box. Just connect the keyboard and mouse dongle to the adapter followed by connecting the adapter to your phone, and then you will be able to pair them in a jiffy. After pairing it with the phones, plug the dongle into DeX’s USB port.
- Now, slide the top of the DeX and put your Galaxy S8/Galaxy S8+ into it. Check if you have plugged it right into the USB Type-C port
- After the successful connection, your phone’s screen would turn black, and you will see the external display light up with Samsung DeX logo.
- To unlock DeX, just unlock your Galaxy S8/Galaxy S8+ by any security that you’re using – PIN, Pattern, Iris scanner, Face recognition, or any other method.
- Your DeX is now all set to be used on external display.
We hope this article helps you in getting started with Samsung’s DeX. Let us know your opinion about the DeX in the comments section below.