Anthem Update Adds the Long-Awaited Cataclysm Event, A Guild System, New Gear, More
BioWare has just released their biggest Anthem update since launching the game earlier this year. The big news is that the long-delayed Cataclysm event is finally here, but the update also adds a variety of other cool stuff, including a new Guild system, Inversions that change how you interact with the world, and, of course, a bundle of new gear and weapons. You can check out a new Cataclysm trailer, below.
Here are your notes for Anthem update 1.3.0:
New Story Missions – Track Dr. Harken and unravel the mystery of the Cataclysm. Available to all players who have completed the “Incursion” mission in the main storyline.
Cataclysm – Battle Vara Brom and her forces in a dangerous new game mode that evolves over time. Teamwork is heavily encouraged as you battle against the dangerous environment and time itself, unlock secrets, and master the Cataclysm to earn all new rewards and rank up the leaderboard. The Cataclysm is available on the Start of Expedition screen for all players who have completed the “Incursion” mission.
- Inversions – Sets of gameplay modifiers that impact how you face the challenges of the Cataclysm.
- Leaderboards – Finishing content in the Cataclysm mode adds to your score. Your score is updated to the leaderboard at the end of your run.
- Seasonal Currency – Complete challenges and content to earn Minor and Major Crystals. Spend that currency on the rewards in the Seasonal Store.
- Seasonal Store – A new store that features time-limited rewards for purchase with the seasonal currency.
Guild App – The Anthem guild app is now available for download. Create, join, and chat with guild members in-app. View your guild from the game to squad up and explore the world of Anthem together.
Alliance System Changes – The Alliance System now includes Guild members in addition to Friends when calculating Social Rewards. (You’ll be able to create, join and chat with guild members in a new guild mobile app.)
Inversions – With patch 1.3.0 we’ve introduced a new system called Inversions, which changes the way your Javelin interacts with the environment to various degrees. Some Inversions will hinder you, some will help. Ultimately, they should fundamentally change your experience within the Cataclysm and encourage some diversification to your playstyle. Here is a full list of the Inversions you can expect (two inversions will be active each week during the duration of the Cataclysm event):
- Ultimate Boost – Ultimate meter from kills is increased.
- Turbo Gear – Gear recharge rate is increased.
- Lightning Rod – Close-range kills chain lightning to nearby enemies.
- Close Encounters – Shotguns and Machine Pistols deal increased damage.
- Precision Operator – Snipers and Marksman Rifles deal increased damage.
- Immunity Pack – Ammo pickups grant brief immunity to damage.
- On the Edge – At low armor, damage dealt increases.
- Soldier’s Reward – Killing an enemy restores a small amount of shields.
- From the Skies – Heat build-up while hovering is decreased.
- Air Support – Defeating an enemy while hovering grants increased damage while on the ground for a short time; stacks up to 5 times.
- Broken Magazine – Weapons have no spare ammo, but enemies drop ammo more often.
- Running on Empty – Firing the last shot in a weapon’s clip increases all damage for a short time.
Luck Change – Luck has been removed from all items and replaced with bonus armor. As a result, drop rates from Easy through Grandmaster 1 difficulty modes will be as if they had previously equipped maximum Luck before the update. Legendary and Masterwork drop rates in Grandmaster 2 and Grandmaster 3 difficulties have increased for all players, including those who equipped maximum Luck previously.
Legendary Contract Chest Change – Stronghold Chests have been added to the end of each Legendary Contract.
Weapons – Update 1.3.0 and the Cataclysm introduces us to some new powerful sources of energy for creatures in the world, gear, and of course weapons. As part of the Cataclysm we wanted to amp up our in-game weapons and add some unique spin to their behaviors and gameplay mechanics. We’ve introduced three new classes of weapons with three new Masterwork/Legendary only variants:
Pulse Accelerators use seal technology to generate destructive energy.
- “Bad Omen” – Charges to fire a burst of energy projectiles.
- “Rain Maker” – Fires an energy burst that explodes into smaller projectiles.
- “Grave Digger” – Fires an increasingly powerful stream of energy.
Volt Casters use seal technology to focus ambient electricity
- “Jarra’s Wrath” – Blasts a short-range lightning arc.
- “Lightning Rod” – Calls down lightning on a specific location.
- “Flashfire” – Fires a lightning attack that jumps from enemy to enemy.
Blade Slingers charge a circular projectile with dynamic force.
- “Razorwing” – Launches a heavy blade that bounces between targets.
- “Riza’s Ripper” – Fires a barbed blade that inflicts ongoing shrapnel damage.
- “Shard Storm” – Launches experimental crystal projectiles across the immediate area.
- We’ve reduced the amount of health for non-boss enemies inside Grandmaster 2 by 50%, and Stronghold bosses by 65%.
- Reduced the amount of shields for all enemies inside Grandmaster 2 by 35%.
- Reduced the amount of health for non-boss enemies instead Grandmaster 3 by 50%, and Stronghold bosses by 75%.
- Reduced the amount of shields for all enemies by 20%.
NOTE: These health changes do not affect our “Apex” creatures, as they had previously been adjusted.
Gear – With this update, we’re starting to introduce additional Masterworks for each of the gear slots on each Javelin to better improve end-game build diversity and introduce new mechanics.
- “Again and Again” – Upgraded Siege Artillery – Combo Effect: Explosive. Detonates another explosion briefly after the first.
- “Venom Storm” – Upgraded Burst Mortar – Combo Effect: Explosive. Fires a volley of acidic rounds.
- “Tesilar Trap” – Upgraded Cluster Mine – Deploys a bundle of proximity mines. Mines deal electric damage and electrify targets.
- “Spectre’s Flash” – Upgraded Wraith Strike – Projects ghost to target. Detonates Aura Combos.
- “Relentless Pursuit” – Upgraded Pulse Blast – Combo Effect: Impact. Hitting an enemy causes Energy Pulse to bounce to additional enemies.
- “Arctic Tomb” – Upgrade Frost Grenade – Freezes target in place. Defeating frozen enemies will also freeze nearby enemies.
- “Steam Vent” – Upgraded Glacial Spear – Combo Effect: Chain. Deals both ice and fire damage.
- “Eternal Squall” – Upgraded Lightning Strike – Combo Effect: Chain. Leaves a field that deals electric damage for a short time.
Support Items – With update 1.3.0 you can finally complete the full set of Masterwork or Legendary gear. No more single lingering Epic Support Gear items ruining your complete collection! With this update, we’ve introduced two new Masterwork Support Gear pieces for each Javelin – centered around teamwork and buffing your allies as you fight your way through the Cataclysm.
- “Berserker’s Cry” – Upgraded Battle Cry – Forces enemies to attack the Colossus, and reduces enemy resistance to damage. Additionally increases melee ability.
- “Surging Shield” – Upgraded Shield Pulse – Fortified effect reduces incoming damage. Additionally regenerates shields through damage while the effect persists.
- “Voice of Courage” – Upgraded Rally Cry – Breaks you and allies free of all status effects. Additionally revives downed squad-mates who are nearby.
- “Slayer’s Furor” – Upgraded Target Beacon – Locks onto a target, reducing their resistances and jumping to another target if defeated. Also immediately marks additional enemies around the target.
- “Vanguard’s Rampart” – Upgraded Bulwark Point – Deploys a spherical shield. Additionally provides temporary charges for you and your allies’ Grenades, Ordnance Launchers, Assault Systems, and Blast Seals.
- “Tarsis’ Last Stand” – Upgraded Muster Point – Deploys a field that augments allies inside, increasing gun damage. In addition to gun damage, all damage is increased while inside the muster point.
- “Howling Veil” – Upgraded Wind Wall – Creates a wall of wind to block projectiles. Additionally, enemies take damage when they hit the wall.
- “Anthem’s Grace” – Upgraded Quickening Field – Zone of power increases gear recharge rate. Additionally increases gear damage while in the field.
With this update, we added a significant level of build diversity by changing one of the main ways that Javelins prime and detonate combos. To do this, we are introducing new melee gear pieces that are equippable, have stats, and change the way you play. This will allow you to assemble new gear combinations not previously possible. We’ve also introduced new Masterwork and Legendary versions of these items.
With this change we have also fundamentally changed the way that melee damage scales. Previously, melee damage started at a base value and then automatically increased in power based on the average gear score of the player. Now that melee is its own actual item, it no longer uses this automatic scaling, but uses actual real scaling for the item and the bonuses that occur on that item. This means that if players want to get their melee damage back to what it was, they need to get a melee weapon of the appropriate rarity with similar inscription rolls.
- Seismic Glove – Heavy glove that can be smashed into the ground, causing damage in a large area.
- “Earthshaker” – Upgraded Seismic Glove – Heavy glove that can be smashed into the ground, causing damage in a large area. Sends out a shockwave that damages enemies in front of you.
- Inferno Glove – Flaming glove that can be smashed into the ground, burning enemies in a large area.
- “Meteor Smash” – Upgraded Inferno Glove – Flaming glove that can be smashed into the ground, burning enemies in a large area. Cracks the earth, igniting flames around your feet that burn nearby enemies.
- “Twin Blades” – Double-bladed daggers that allow for fast attacks which can be chained together.
- “Blades of Warding” – Upgraded Twin Blades – Double-bladed daggers that allow for fast attacks which can be chained together. Hitting an enemy grants 10% increased damage resistance for 10 seconds. Stacks to 5.
- Venomous Blades – Double-bladed daggers that poison their target.
- “Deathstalker Blades” – Upgraded Venomous Blades – Double-bladed daggers that poison their target. Deals additional damage against enemies below 50% health.
- Shock Mace – Electrically charged mace that shocks enemies.
- “Transmuting Volt” – Upgraded Shock Mace – Electrically charged mace that shocks enemies. Hitting an enemy adds 3 Ultimate charges.
- Seismic Mace – Heavy hitting mace that deals high damage.
- “Rampager” – Upgraded Seismic Mace – Heavy-hitting mace that deals high damage. Hitting an enemy grants 10% increased damage for 10 seconds. Stacks to 5.
- Explosive Strike – Hits enemies with an explosive strike, dealing high damage.
- “Searing Blast” – Upgraded Explosive Strike – Hits enemies with an explosive strike, dealing high damage. Sends out a fireball that seeks enemies.
- Shocking Strike – Hits enemies with an electrically charged strike, shocking them.
- “Lightning Surge” – Upgraded Shocking Strike – Hits enemies with an electrically charged strike, shocking them. Hitting an enemy restores 40% shields.
Of course, Anthem update 1.3.0 also comes with the usual array of bug fixes and tweaks. If you need to know about them, you can check out the full, unabridged patch notes here.
Anthem is available on PC, Xbox One, and PS4. The latest update and all its associated content can be downloaded for free, right now.