Intel Core i5-12400 / MSI B660M Mortar WiFiJanuary, 2022
TypeCPU / Motherboard
Price$192 US / $259 US
MSI MAG B660M Mortar WiFi Motherboard - Features
Moving over to the MSI 600 series lineup, the board manufacturer is preparing at least 25 new B660 motherboards. The MSI lineup will feature a range of families. These include MAG or the Massive Arsenal Gaming which focuses on the mainstream and budget segment while the PRO series is designed with entry-level users in mind.
With B660, MSI has a range of highly acclaimed motherboard series such as Tomahawk, Mortar, and Bazooka. We will be taking a closer look at the Mortar WiFi, and more specifically, the DDR5 WiFi variant of the board.
The MSI MAG B660M Mortar WiFi motherboard is a very powerful board in its class. Rocking a 12-phase VRM delivery with dual 8-pin connectors.
MSI MAG B660M Mortar WiFi Motherboard Features:
- Supports 12th Gen Intel Core / Pentium Celeron processors for LGA 1700 socket
- Supports DDR5 Memory, up to 6666+(OC) MHz
- Lightning Fast Game experience: PCIe 5.0 slots, Lightning Gen 4 x4 M.2, USB 3.2 Gen 2x2
- Enhanced Power Design: Direct 18+1+1 phases power, dual 8-pin CPU power connectors, Core Boost, Memory Boost
- Premium Thermal Solution: Enlarged heatsink with heat-pipe, MOSFET thermal pads rated for 7W/MK, additional choke thermal pads, and M.2 Shield Frozr are built for high-performance system and non-stop gaming experience
- MYSTIC LIGHT: 16.8 million colors / fancy lighting effects controlled in one click. MYSTIC LIGHT SYNC supports RGB, RAINBOW(ARGB), Corsair LED strips, and Ambient devices.
- 2.5G LAN with LAN Manager and Intel Wi-Fi 6E Solution: Upgraded network solution for professional and multimedia use. Delivers a secure, stable, and fast network connection
- AUDIO BOOST 5: Reward your ears with studio grade sound quality for the most immersive gaming experience
- High-Quality PCB: 8-layer PCB made by 2oz thickened copper and server grade-level material
- Pre-installed I/O Shield: Better EMI protection and more convenience for installation
The MAG B660M Mortar WiFi also features support for four DDR5 Rams with speeds of up to 6200+ MHz (OC) and a capacity of up to 128 GB. The board features 6 SATA III ports and a single USB 3.2 Gen 2 front-panel header. Before we talk about I/O and expansion on this motherboard, let's look at the design itself.
MSI's MAG B660M Mortar WiFi design's inclined towards the gaming segment. The Micro-ATX motherboard features several heatsinks and a brushed metallic silver color theme which looks great. The heatsink includes 7W/MK thermal pads to dissipate heat effectively and an extended design for better cooling performance.
Now coming to the expansion slots, the MSI MAG B660M Mortar WiFi motherboard features three PCIe slots (1 x Gen 4 x16 / 1 x Gen 3 x4 / 1x Gen 3 x1), and dual M.2 slots (2x Gen4x4), all of which are cooled by the M.2 Shield Frozr heatsinks.
For I/O, you get 4 USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 (2 Type-C) ports, 4 USB 2.0 ports, HDMI + DP ports, 2.5G (Intel I225V) Ethernet LAN ports, Intel WiFi 6E (BT 5.2) functionality, & Audio Boost HD. The MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi is going to be priced at an official MSRP of $259.99 US which makes it one of the more affordable options than Z690 boards.