Yesterday Activision unveiled Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, a reboot of the Infinity Ward series that kicked off the CoD phenomenon. Interestingly, it was announced the traditional paid season pass has been done away with this year, with all additional maps being free, so how exactly will the game monetized?
Well, we have a hint, as Activision has revealed new details about how they’re handling Operators. Unlike the Black Ops series Specialists, Operators won’t have any gameplay-effecting abilities, but they will have a name, backstory, unique dialogue, skins, and customization options. So, in other words, selling stuff to dress up these virtual action figures is how Activision will be making their extra cash this time around.
Of course, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare will come with the standard array of editions. The Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Operator Edition comes with three “Operator packs,” each of which includes an Operator, skin, and weapon variant based on a classic Modern Warfare mission. You also get a special in-game knife and Prestige Token, and if you get the Operator Enhanced Digital Edition, you also get 3000 Call of Duty Points. You can get the full rundown on what the Operator Edition includes, below.
“All Ghillied Up” Operator Pack
Named for the infamous flashback campaign mission in the original Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, where you, playing as Lieutenant John Price (prior to being made Captain), must utilize camouflage and sniping tactics as you encroach the outskirts of the Ukranian city of Pripyat.
- Operator Name: Grinch
- Themed Operator Skin: Full sniper ghillie suit.
- Cosmetic Weapon Variant: Bolt-action sniper rifle, in camouflage with additional netting and suppressor, and what seems to be coordinates scratched on the surface of the weapon above the trigger, near the bolt carrier.
“Crew Expendable” Operator Pack
Paying homage to the second campaign mission from the original Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, where you, playing as Sergeant John “Soap” MacTavish, board an Estonian ship in the Bering Strait, as part of a clandestine raid by British Special Forces in an attempt to locate and obtain a rogue nuclear device.
- Operator Name: Otter
- Themed Operator Skin: Special operations with gas mask.
- Cosmetic Weapon Variant: Short-barreled pump-action shotgun designed “for close encounters”; in fact, the phrase is scratched into the stock. The weapon also comes with oil and surface markings.
“War Pig” Operator Pack
Sharing the name with the Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare mission where you, playing as Marine Sergeant Paul Jackson, lead a charge to push back an enemy counterattack and secure a tank (the “War Pig” in question).
- Operator Name: Wyatt
- Themed Operator Skin: Ground infantry Desert camouflage with tac vest.
- Cosmetic Weapon Variant: Pistol with a lightweight custom trigger, flared magwell, grip with custom stippling, accessory rail (for mounting lasers or flashlights), and “War Pig” etched into the slide.
- Custom In-Game Tactical Knife: Available in all of the Digital Editions is this in-game bladed melee weapon with “Limited Edition” label, acid etching on the blade, and a contoured custom grip.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Prestige Token: Pre-order any Digital Edition and get a Prestige Token redeemable in Call of Duty: Black Ops 4.
- 3,000 Call of Duty Points: You receive these Call of Duty Points in the Operator Enhanced Digital Edition.
Of course, there’s also physical special edition. Here’s what it includes…
- The Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Precision Edition featuring the base game, Steelbook, KontrolFreek Call of Duty: Modern Warfare-branded Performance Thumbsticks and Controller Skin, and the in-game content from the Digital Operator Edition listed above (except for the Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Prestige Token). In addition, GameStop customers in the United States receive a GameStop Call of Duty Endowment (C.O.D.E.) Animated Calling Card.
Activision has yet to reveal pricing for any of the Modern Warfare special editions.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare storms onto PC, Xbox One, and PS4 on October 25.