The latest Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 season has arrived. This update is titled Operation Apocalypse Z and focuses heavily on the undead. Zombies mode gets a new campaign, Alpha Omega, which is set on yet another reimagining of Nuketown, both Blackout battle royale maps are getting an eerie makeover, and those who purchased the Black Ops Pass get three additional multiplayer maps packed with references to Zombies history. Not everything included in Apocalypse Z is zombie-themed though – the familiar robot Specialist Reaper also returns with this update. You can watch the trailer for Watch the trailer for Operation Apocalypse Z, below.
- New Specialist: Reaper - Reaper is a heavily armed robotic Specialist that utilizes explosive firepower to gain the upper hand. Reaper’s Special Issue Weaponry is the Scythe – a high-damage machine gun with explosive rounds and a fast fire rate that also inflicts a suppression status effect to nearby enemies. Reaper’s Special Issue Equipment, the Radar Shroud, is a deployable jamming device that conceals an area on enemy mini-maps. This equipment allows Reaper and his teammates to operate undetected within the Shroud’s radius. Reaper is available at Tier 1 of the Operation, and will be playable in Multiplayer once unlocked.
- New Party Game Mode: Sticks & Stones
- New Alt Map: Jungle Flooded
Black Ops Pass Multiplayer Maps
- Der Schatten - Set in the 1940s at the height of Nazi Germany during the Zombies experience “Der Eisendrache”, Der Schatten begins by spawning players into the map via a time portal. The zombies have already arrived in Eisenstadt, Austria, and you’ll see them in store windows along with other nods to Zombies history, including Samantha’s teddy bear. The map has multiple interior spaces including opportunities to fight inside a crashed robot that adds a new dynamic to the Multiplayer space.
- Remnant - Hop off your tour bus and visit Remnant, a modern day museum that specializes in collecting and showcasing curiosities, oddities, and nightmares surrounding Zombies-related events. A recently purchased relic has unleashed chaos and death, wiping out everyone in the museum. Remnant is a large-scale map with wide spacing for longer engagements as well as close to mid-range firefights among various part of the interiors.
- Havana - Havana returns to Black Ops 4, where an escalating conflict has cleared out the streets. This Black Ops flashback is set in Cuba during the Cold War, where revolutionary posters and flak guns fortified by sandbags signal an uprising. The map is filled with multiple houses, bars, alleys, and other spaces that favor close-quarters builds. For those who want to literally take to the streets, long sightlines can be found that overlook parts of the map as well as various environment pieces that can serve as cover during intense engagements.
New Map Updates
- The Haunting Fog – An apocalyptic transformation to the main map.
- Alcatraz: Nightfall – The prison island under the cover of darkness.
New Game Modes
- Quads Fog – A limited-time Quads playlist where cloudy skies hang over an ominous fog.
- Alcatraz Portals Horde – An Alcatraz game mode with more Zombies enemy types that spawn throughout the map.
New Playable Characters:
- Danny Trejo
- New Experience: Alpha Omega - Following the events of Classified and Blood of the Dead, the Primis and Ultimis crews travel to a secret Broken Arrow facility at Nuketown. This gameplay space, which is 400% larger than “Nuketown Zombies”, features both familiar nostalgia and new elements. In “Alpha Omega”, players will face new enemies, including Jolting Jacks and Nova 6 Bombers that are deadlier evolutions of the Nova 6 Crawlers from “Kino Der Toten”. Plus, you’ll fight against a new special round foe, the Lightning Hounds. As the Aether story heads toward an epic conclusion, “Alpha Omega” works to unravel the mysteries of the beginning and the end.
- Head Drama
- Phoenix Up
New Perk: Blood Wolf Bite
- 40 new Contraband stream Tiers
- Zombies-themed Specialist outfits
- New Mastercrafts and MKII Weapons
- Earnable Ultra Weapon Bribe
(Click image for full resolution)
Not a bad collection of stuff, assuming you’re into zombies. Most of the Operation Apocalypse Z content is free, with the exception of the multiplayer maps, which require the purchase of a $50 Black Ops Pass.
Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 is available on PC, Xbox One, and PS4. Operation Apocalypse Z can be downloaded on PS4 now – PC and Xbox One players will have to wait an additional week.