Update Sony Xperia Z to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean CM10.1 Custom ROM
Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean can now be installed on Sony Xperia Z through CM10.1 custom ROM. Please note that this is an aftermarket firmware. During this stage you won't be able to use Sony's applications and services along with those of Google's such as Google Hangout, Sync, Play Store etc. It is therefore highly recommended to take a Nandroid backup to restore back to your current state in case you intend to try the Android 4.2.2 OS look and feel through CyanogenMod.
Prerequisites to check before you update Sony Xperia Z to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean CM10.1:
- Your computer should be installed with ADB (Android Debug Bridge).
- Backup any important data from your Xperia Z as a complete wipe will be required during the flashing process.
- A Nandroid backup is also recommended since it will help you to restore to current state if you do not like the new ROM. In the recovery follow this path: backup and restore > backup.
- Enable USB debugging option on your device: Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging.
- Your Sony Xperia Z must be charged to at least 60% of power.
How to update Sony Xperia Z to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean CM10.1:
Required files: download the CyanogenMod firmware file, fastboot and Google Apps for Xperia Z. Unzip the fastboot.zip file on the c drive. Extract the CM10.1 firmware folder and copy the boot.img file in the fastboot folder.
- Connect Xperia to PC using a USB cable and copy the GApps and firmware file on the phone's SD card.
- Turn your Sony Xperia Z off and reboot into recovery mode: hold down volume up and power buttons simultaneously.
- Open the command prompt on computer: Start > All Programs > Accessories.
- Now enter the following command which will take you to the fastboot folder: cd c:\Fastboot
- Type the command fastboot flash boot boot.img to install boot.img.
- When the boot.img is installed successfully on your Xperia Z, you will get an OKAY/Finished message.
- Once the installation process is completed, disconnect your phone from computer and switch it back on.
- When you see the Free Xperia Project bootlogo, press and release the Volume Up key several times.
- Now boot into recovery menu. In the recovery mode, perform wipe tasks: wipe data/factory reset followed by wipe cache and finally from advanced, select wipe dalvik cache to clear the dalvik cache.
- Once wiping is done, return to main menu and select Install Zip from SD Card followed by Choose Zip from SD Card and locate the downloaded CM10.1 ROM file. Confirm installation.
- Repeat the above step for Gapps package.
- Once the installation is finished, select Go Back and then select Reboot System Now.
Ta da! Your Sony Xperia Z is updated to Android 4.2.2 CM10.1 custom ROM!
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter