Update Nexus 7 (2013) to Android 8.1 Oreo Custom ROM
AICP ROM aka the Ice Cold Project is now available based on latest Android 8.1.0 Oreo for Nexus 7 (2013). Looking forward to the latest deliciousness of Android Oreo? You can now install AICP Nightly custom ROM on your Nexus 7 (2013). Following are the prerequisites and steps to update Nexus 7 2013 to Android 8.1.0 Oreo based custom ROM.
Prerequisites to update Nexus 7 to Android 8.1 Oreo ROM
- Download and install USB drivers for Nexus 7 (2013) on your computer.
- Enable USB debugging option by pressing Menu > Settings > Applications. Navigate and tap on Developer Options to ensure that USB Debugging is enabled.
- Your Nexus device should be rooted.
- Make sure that TWRP recovery is installed.
- Ensure that your Nexus carries more than 70% of charge.
Please visit this developer thread for complete changelog, support, and bug reports.
Steps to update Nexus 7 to Android 8.1 Oreo AICP Nightly
Required files: Download AICP Android 8.1.0 Oreo for Nexus 7 (2013) from here.
- Connect your Nexus 7 (2013) to your PC using USB cable and copy the downloaded files to the SD card of your device.
- Disconnect your tablet and power it off.
- Now boot it into the Bootloader mode: press and hold Volume Up, Volume Down and the Power buttons simultaneously. Follow onscreen instructions and go to recovery. Once here, use Volume keys to highlight and Power to select.
- Data wipe operations (labels will differ between CWM and TWRP): go to wipe data/factory reset and confirm the operation. Also, wipe cache partition and finally go for wipe dalvik cache to clean it up too.
- Now, select install and then choose zip from sdcard. Locate AICP ROM zip file and confirm its installation.
- When the ROM installation completes successfully, repeat the above step for installing root file.
- Once done, go back to main recovery menu and select reboot system now.
First boot may take over 5 minutes, so don’t be worried. The above are generic instructions; developers have their own list of warnings and installation tips available over at XDA. Please make sure to read those before flashing AICP on Nexus 7.