How to Update Nexus 5 to Android 7.1.1 Nougat Custom ROM
Since Nexus 5 is no longer receiving official updates from Google, we have made it our mission to share with our readers as many custom ROMs for this device as possible. We have already shared with you a few Nougat based custom ROMs for your Nexus 5. But, now based on the very latest Android 7.1.1 Nougat, DarkROM is available for Nexus 5. Follow this guide for features and steps to update Nexus 5 to Android 7.1.1 Nougat based custom ROM.
DarkROM Android 7.1.1 features
DARKROM custom firmware is an extra lean CM14.1 ROM with a few added features. Developer has stripped down a number CM packages to offer a fast and stable experience. You can, however, manually install missing packages using a flashable zip file.
– [CAF ONLY] TrueSight kernel v4.3 builtin (With a few of my own tweaks)
– [CAF ONLY] DT2W in kernel settings (Beware, it will cause a big battery drain)
– Pixel Launcher (with the provided GAPPS package)
– Pixel animated navbar
– Pixel sounds
– Pixel accent colors
– Rounded icons
– Night Light
– Dark mode (notifications are still WIP)
– Choose between dialer and voice assistant in lockscreen
– Hide next alarm from expanded status bar and lockscreen
– Hide bluetooth icon when disconnected
– Longpress power button while screen off to trigger flashlight
– Volume steps
– Quick unlock pin/password
– Remove album art from lockscreen
– Date in status bar
– Smart pulldown
– Volume button controls media volume anywhere
– Change navbar height
– Screenshot tile
– Caffeine tile
– Sync tile
– Reboot/recovery tile
– Music tile
– Turn on/off mobile data with single click on collapsed quick settings
– Status bar ticker
– ViPER4Android builtin (working in Enforcing)
– [CAF ONLY] Synapse builtin
For more details, support and questions, please visit the developer’s page.
Prerequisites to update Nexus 5 to Android 7.1.1 ROM
- Download and install USB drivers for Nexus 5 on your computer.
- Enable USB debugging option by pressing Menu > Settings > Applications. Navigate and tap on Developer Options to enable USB Debugging.
- Your Nexus 5 should be rooted.
- Make sure to install TWRP or CWM recovery tool.
- Ensure that your Nexus 5 carries more than 70% of charge.
How to update Nexus 5 to Android 7.1.1 custom ROM
Required files: Download DarkROM for Nexus 5 on your computer.
- Connect your Nexus 5 to your PC using USB cable and copy the downloaded files to the SD card of your device.
- Disconnect your Nexus 5 and power it off.
- Now boot it into the recovery mode: press and hold Volume Up, Home and the Power buttons simultaneously. Use Volume keys to highlight and Power button to select.
- In the TWRP/CWM settings menu, clear phone memory: go to Wipe > Factory Reset.
- Return to TWRP settings and tap Install and locate the DarkROM firmware zip file from the phone memory.
- In the menu, confirm the installation process by tapping Swipe to Confirm Flash.
- Your phone will now install the Android 7.1.1 Nougat custom ROM.
- When you receive the Successful message, you can restart your device.
First boot takes a little, so a little patience would go a long way. Enjoy the all new features that Android 7.1 Nougat brings to your Nexus 5 and don’t forget to share your experience with us.
Note: If you get stuck in the bootloop, go to TWRP main menu and clear Wipe cache/dalvik.