Update HTC One M8 to Android 4.4.4 CM11 M9 Custom ROM – How to
One of the first custom firmwares tweaked for the latest HTC One flagship is up for flashing! Here is the brilliant CM11 M9 custom ROM based on the latest Android 4.4.4 KitKat. Packed with an amazing list of features, you should update HTC One M8 to Android 4.4.4 CM11 M9 if you are a fan of stock experience.
- Recommended read: Quick Tip to Speed Up Google Chrome on Mobile Devices
CM11 M9 Android 4.4.4 firmware details:
- Themes support for additional UI elements
- Heads Up Notifications – Bug Fixes
- Lockscreen – Allow doubletap to sleep when using secure keyguard
- Torch – Improve performance
- Safe Headset Volume – prompt when interfering with 3rd party device (Jawbone, Square, etc)
- Center clock support
- Quick Settings – respect locale changes on additional tiles
- Proximity Wake-Up support
- Spam notification filtering – Set notifications to auto-ignore based on content
- Settings Search – Additional improvements and highlighting
- Data Usage Info – Add support for CDMA devices without sim cards
- Bluetooth – Add additional A2DP profiles
- Bluetooth – Disable AVRCP 1.5 by default (fixes various car unit compatibility)
- Email – Fix saving attachments to storage for POP3 accounts
- Account for Play Services induced wake-locks
- Fix encryption on some LG Devices
- Dialer – add support for Korean and Chinese to smart-dialer
Prerequisites to update HTC One M8 to Android 4.4.4 CM11 M9 custom ROM:
- Backup any important data from your HTC One M8 as a complete wipe will be required during the flashing process.
- Install USB drivers for your HTC device. Check out this link.
- Enable USB debugging option on your device: Settings > Development Options > USB debugging.
- Ensure that your HTC One M8's bootloader is unlocked and that you have a recovery tool like TWRP or CWM.
- Your device must be charged to at least 80% of power.
How to update HTC One M8 to Android 4.4.4 CM11 M9:
Here are the steps to help you update HTC One M8 to Android 4.4.4 based CM11 M9 KitKat custom firmware:
- Connect your HTC One to your computer using a USB cable and copy the ROM and GApps zip files to your phone’s SD card root folder.
- Copy / paste the boot.img file to the Android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory.
- Disconnect the USB cord and power off your HTC device.
- Boot your device in the Bootloader mode by pressing and holding the Volume Down and Power keys.
- Once in the Fastboot mode, navigate to android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory on your computer and open command prompt with Shift + Right-click combo and click on the Open Command Prompt.
- Type the following string into the window:
- fastboot flash boot boot.img and press Enter.
- Fastboot reboot - press Enter again.
- Follow the onscreen instructions and select Bootloader > go to Recovery.
- Once in recovery, perform wipe data task: from CWM recovery menu, select wipe data / factory reset and confirm the process.
- Also perform wipe cache partition followed by wipe dalvik cache (from Advanced).
- From recovery main menu, select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard. Locate the CM11 M9 Android 4.4.4 custom firmware file and confirm the flashing process.
- Once the ROM is flashed successfully, repeat the above step but select GApps package this time.
- Return back to main recovery menu and reboot your HTC One M8 into the new custom ROM. First boot takes a good 5 minutes so please be patient.
Congrats! You have successfully installed the brilliant CyanogenMod11 M9 custom firmware on your HTC One M8 flagship smartphone.