Update Google Nexus 7 WiFi to ParanoidAndroid Android 4.4 Kit Kat AOSP ROM
ParanoidAndroid is one of the most popular custom firmware favored by Android-users from a long time now. The custom firmware is available for a plethora of smart phones and tablets based on Android OS. This customizable Android based custom ROM is now also available to be flashed on the Google Nexus 7 2013 and Google Nexus 7 2012 tablet.
Follow this step by step tutorial to update your Nexus 7 2013 and 2012 to this amazing Android Open Source Project (AOSP) based custom ROM.
Prerequisites to updating Google Nexus 7 to ParanoidAndroid 4.4 Kit Kat AOSP ROM
- Download and install USB drivers for Google Nexus 7 on your computer.
- Enable USB debugging mode from developer menu.
- Your Nexus 7 2013 should be unlocked and rooted.
- Backup any important data before going forward for the tutorial.
- Ensure that your Google Nexus 7 carries more than 70% of charge.
You should have a custom recovery tool ‘TWRP’ installed on your Nexus 7. If you don’t have TWRP installed, go to ‘Play Store’ and download GooManager app from the Play Store to install it. Please note that the following files will not work on CWM.
- ParanoidAndroid 4.4 Kit Kat for Google Nexus 7 (2013) [File: pa_aosp_flo.zip]
- ParanoidAndroid 4.4 Kit Kat for Google Nexus 7 (2012) [File: pa_aosp_grouper.zip]
- Google Apps [File: gapps-jb-20130813-signed.zip]
How to update Google Nexus 7 WiFi to ParanoidAndroid Android 4.4 Kit Kat AOSP ROM
- Connect your new Nexus 7 2013 with computer using a USB cable and copy the firmware (without extracting it) and GApps files on your device’ SD card.
- Disconnect your Google Nexus tablet from computer when the copy is done.
- Turn off the Google Nexus 7 2013 or 2012 completely and reboot it into recovery mode.
- Perform Nandroid backup of your current OS: Backup and Restore > Backup
- Now perform data wiping tasks: select wipe partition and wipe data partition
- Return to the main recovery menu and select Install. Locate the downloaded ParanoidAndroid Android 4.3 based custom firmware file for Google Nexus 7 and confirm installation.
- Once the custom ROM is successfully installed on Google Nexus, repeat the above step but select GApps file this time.
- When done, reboot your Nexus to boot into the newly installed ParanoidAndroid Android 4.4 Kit Kat AOSP ROM.
Awesome! Your Google Nexus 7 2013 or 2012 has now been flashed with the latest ParanoidAndroid ROM!