Steps to Install Android 7.1.1 Nougat ROM on Samsung Galaxy S6
Forget about S6, Samsung is yet to even send Android Nougat to this year's flagship Galaxy S7 and S7 edge. But, who needs Samsung when you can get all the latest Nougat features along with latest security patches with the help of a custom ROM. While in beta, you can now update the Galaxy S6 to Android 7.1.1 Nougat based LineageOS ROM. Here are all its highlights and steps to help you flash the ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S6 G920F.
LineageOS Android 7.1.1 ROM for Galaxy S6
NFC (Partially working, NO android Pay)
Google Play application installing
Button backlight control
USB OTG Support
Power Menu customisations
Live Display (almost all of it)
In call volume slider
Battery custumizations fixed
Prerequisites to update Galaxy S6 to Android 7.1.1 Nougat
- Backup any important data from your Samsung Galaxy S6 G920F as a complete wipe will be required during the flashing process.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your device: Settings > Development Options > USB debugging.
- Samsung Galaxy S6 must be rooted, unlocked and installed with a recovery tool like TWRP or CWM.
- Your device must be charged to at least 60% power.
Note: this tutorial is focused on Samsung Galaxy S6 model SM-G920F; please do not try this guide on other Android & Samsung devices. For a quick visual review, you can check out dev's video. Since this is a beta version, you can always visit this XDA thread for bug support and more.
Steps to update Galaxy S6 to Android 7.1.1 ROM
- Connect your Galaxy S6 to your computer using a USB cable and copy the zip file to your phone’s SD card.
- Disconnect the USB cord and power off your smartphone.
- Boot it into recovery mode: switch the phone on while pressing and holding Volume Up + Home + Power buttons simultaneously.
- Perform wipe data tasks: from CWM recovery menu, select wipe data / factory reset and confirm the process.
- From the recovery menu, select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard. Locate the LineageOS Android 7.1.1 custom firmware and confirm the flashing process.
- Return back to main recovery menu and reboot your Galaxy S6 G920F into the new custom ROM. First boot may take over 5 minutes, so please be patient.
Let us know about your experience with Android 7.1.1 Nougat based LineageOS beta ROM.
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter