You can now update your Samsung Galaxy S4 to Android 7.0 Nougat using AOSP Nougat custom ROM. The ROM is still a work in progress but offers a number of Nougat features right on your device. The ROM runs smoothly, except for broken video recording, which the developers are working on. Follow this guide to update Galaxy S4 to Android 7.0 AOSP ROM.
Prerequisites to update Galaxy S4 to Android 7.0 ROM
- Download and install USB drivers for Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE I9505.
- Enable USB debugging mode from developer menu.
- You should have a custom recovery tool like TWRP (dev suggests v18.104.22.168) or CWM installed on your device
- Backup any important data before going forward for the tutorial.
- Ensure that your Samsung Galaxy S4 carries more than 70% of charge.
Note: This tutorial is only written for Samsung Galaxy S4 model I9505. Please don't try it on other devices. For support, details, and screenshots, visit developer's thread.
How to update Galaxy S4 to Android 7.0 AOSP
- Reboot your SGS4 into Recovery mode by pressing and holding down the Volume Up, Home and Power keys until the screen flashes. After a few seconds, your phone will enter recovery mode.
- Once in the recovery mode, take a Nandroid backup of your existing ROM. This is necessary to enable you to recover your current ROM if you don't like the new firmware. In order to perform a backup, select Backup and Restore > Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Now, select wipe data/factory reset > Yes to confirm your action. Wait for a few minutes until the phone wipes your data. Then, go back to CWM recovery menu and Wipe Cache Partition and then Wipe Dalvik Cache too.
- Select install zip from sdcard > choose a zip from SD card. Locate the AOSP custom ROM and select it by pressing the Power button. Confirm installation by selecting Yes. The ROM installation will now begin.
- Repeat the process, but select GApps instead of ROM file.
- When done, go back to the main recovery menu and select reboot system now to reboot the phone to the latest firmware.
Don't forget to share your favorite Nougat ROMs with us.