Update Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini to Android 4.4.4 CM11 M8 Custom ROM – How to
You can now update Galaxy S4 Mini to Android 4.4.4 KitKat using the highly popular CM11 custom ROM. Based on Android 4.4.4 KitKat, CM11 M8 custom firmware is based on open source project and brings increased performance and reliability to Android powered smartphones and tablets. Here is how to update Galaxy S4 Mini to Android 4.4.4 CM11 M8 KitKat.
Prerequisites to update Galaxy S4 Mini to Android 4.4.4 CM11 M8:
- Create a backup of all important data in your Galaxy device.
- Download and install USB drivers for Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini in your computer.
- Enable USB debugging option by pressing Menu > Settings > Applications. Navigate and tap on Developer Options to ensure that USB Debugging is enabled.
- Make sure that recovery tool like ClockworkMod recovery is installed.
- Ensure that your Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini LTE carries more than 80% of charge.
Note: This custom firmware flashing process is detailed specifically for Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini LTE model number i9195. Please do not try it on other Samsung or Android devices.
How to update Galaxy S4 Mini to Android 4.4.4 CM11 M8:
Here are the steps to update Galaxy S4 Mini to Android 4.4.4 KitKat based CyanogenMod 11 M8:
- Connect your Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini to your computer using USB cable and copy the downloaded files to the SD card of your Galaxy device.
- Disconnect the connection with PC and turn your Galaxy Mini off.
- Boot in to custom recovery mode: press and hold Volume Up, Down and the Power buttons simultaneously until Samsung logo shows up. Leave the keys for half a second and hold again. Use Volume keys to scroll and Power button to select - alternatively you can use Quick Boot app to reboot your Android device in recovery mode.
- Now perform Nandroid backup of your current ROM: select Backup and Restore > Backup. Go back to main recovery menu after backup process is done - very important step to restore back to current OS.
- Data wiping tasks: select wipe data/factory reset > Yes. It will take a few minutes; once done, select wipe cache partition. Next tap on Advance > wipe Dalvik Cache to wipe Dalvik cache data too.
- Select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard. Locate the Android 4.4.4 KitKat based CM11 M8 custom ROM file copied earlier and select it. Tap on yes to confirm installation and wait for the ROM installation to be completed.
- Once installation process is finished successfully, repeat the above step but choose GApps file instead to install the Google apps package on your Galaxy S4 Mini LTE.
- Return to main recovery menu now and select reboot system now to boot up into the latest CM11 M8 custom ROM for Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini. It will take a bit of time during the first boot, so kindly be patient.
- Ta da! This was how to update Galaxy S4 Mini to Android 4.4.4 KitKat based CyanogenMod ROM!
How to restore: If you want to return to previous OS on your Galaxy S4 Mini, boot into recovery, select backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.