Update Galaxy S4 I9505 to XXUBMG5 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Official Firmware – July 2013
Galaxy S4 is Samsung’s newest offering and the crown jewel of its smartphone offerings. It therefore should not come as a surprise that Samsung will try to impress its users with timely updates for the flagship device. Samsung has today rolled out a firmware update for Galaxy S4 I9505; I9505XXUBMG5 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Official Firmware for users in Philippines. Samsung has been on a roll, for some time now, trying to provide the latest version of Android OS, across its entire product line up. This update is supposed to bring bug fixes and regular maintenance updates for your smartphone. And it can be used in all regions of the world. While this update is available via KIES and it is recommended that you get it from there. If for some reason, you cannot access the official update or would like not to wait and get it on your phone right now, here is a guide to update your Galaxy S4 I9505 to XXUBMG5 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Official Firmware.
Disclaimer:This guide will be using ‘Odin’ as a tool to flash the official firmware on your Galaxy S4 I9505. During the process, you might lose all your existing installed apps and personal settings. It is therefore necessary for you to follow the guide carefully. Also, please, do mind that this tutorial is only for Galaxy S4 I9505. Don’t try this guide in any other Android device.
Android 4.2.2 XXUBMG5 Firmware Details:
Date: May, 2013
Regions: Europe, Asia
Update Galaxy S4 I9505 to XXUBMG5 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Official Firmware
- Download and Extract I9505XXUBMG5_I9505OLBBMG1_GLB.zip to get a file with .tar extension in the unzipped folder.
- You will then extract Odin zip file to get Odin3 v3.07.exe.
- Switch your phone off. And make sure that you wait 5-6 seconds to confirm complete the power down cycle.
- You will then put your Galaxy S4 I9505 phone in Download Mode by pressing and holding down the Volume Down button, alongside Home and the Power button, until the screen flashes a ‘Warning’ Screen. Press ‘Volume Up’ button after that and your phone will enter download mode.
- Run Odin3 v3.07.exe with Administrator rights.
- Now that you are all prepared to root your phone, connect your Galaxy S4 I9505 with your PC. You will then see a notification appear in Odin in the bottom left saying “Added!!”. If for some reason, you do not see the said notification, try another USB port. If that too doesn’t work, then reinstall the USB driver. Once you successfully see the “Added!!” notification in Odin, you are good to go. Also, check for COM port being depicted by a number in ‘yellow’ to make sure that you have successfully added your device.
- Select the following files in Odin at their respective tabs from extracted XXUBMG5 firmware folder :
- Click the ‘PDA’ Button, and select the .tar file extracted in Step 1.
- Click the ‘Phone’ Button, and select file with *modem* in its name (Ignore, if this file does not file exist).
- Click the ‘CSC’ Button, and select file with *csc* in its name (Ignore, if this file does not file exist).
- Click the ‘PIT’ Button, and select the .pit file. Use only if you got it while extracting in step 1 above, otherwise ignore it.
- In Odin window, make sure Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time checkboxes are selected. Please make sure that Re-Partition checkbox is selected, only if you are using a .pit file.
- Hit the ‘START’ button to begin the flashing process.
Once the flashing process is completed, the phone will automatically reboot and you will see a ‘Green’ PASS notification in the top-left-most box. You can unplug the device from the computer now.
If you have followed every point described in the guide, your Galaxy S4 I9505 should now be running Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean build I9505XXUBMG5. If there are any issues, feel free to post in the comments section for our staff to take a look at it.