Update Galaxy S3 SCH-R530 to Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean Carbon ROM
Samsung Galaxy S3 model number SCH-R530 US cellular users can now upgrade their handsets to Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean by going the custom ROM Carbon ROM way using the custom recovery.
The experienced Team Carbon has developed this custom firmware which includes some awesome features such as comprehensive speed enhancements, Linaro -O3, processor-specific optimizations, customizable lockscreen buttons and slider, chronus clock widget, Carousel lockscreen, customizable power button and much more! Custom ROM for S3 Carbon ROM also carries a few features from CM10.1, AOKP and Slim Bean custom ROM. If you want to try out the latest Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean then keep reading this guide to learn to update Galaxy S3 SCH-R530 to Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean Carbon ROM.
Important: The custom ROM Carbon ROM based on Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean is still under development and may contain bugs and issues. All issues will be resolved as the development progresses.
Pre requisites to consider before you update Galaxy S3 SCH-R530 to Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean Carbon ROM:
- Create a backup of all important data in your Galaxy device.
- Download and install USB drivers for Galaxy S3 in your computer.
- Enable USB debugging option by pressing Menu > Settings > Applications. Navigate and tap on Developer Options to ensure that USB Debugging is enabled.
- Make sure that ClockworkMod recovery is installed.
- Ensure that your Samsung Galaxy S3 carries more than 80% of charge.
Before moving forward to our very simple step by step guide, please download the required two files of the firmware and Gapps from these links:
- Carbon ROM 4.2.1 Jelly Bean ROM [Filename: Carbon-JB-v1.0-07FEB2013-000846-d2usc.zip] &
- Google Apps [Filename: gapps-jb-20121212-signed.zip]
Guide to update Galaxy S3 SCH-R530 to Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean Carbon ROM:
- Connect your Galaxy S3 to computer and copy downloaded files to SD card using the USB cable. Do not extract the files.
- Disconnect USB, power off the smartphone and boot your phone into ClockworkMod custom recovery mode (press Volume, Up, and Power button simultaneously until the Samsung logo comes up).
- Perform a Nandroid backup of your existing ROM in case you want to move back or the new ROM doesn't work properly: select Backup and restore and then Backup.
- Perform data wipe operations now: select wipe data/factory reset and confirm to factory reset. It will take a few minutes until data wipe is complete. Go back to CWM main recovery menu and select wipe cache partition, when the partition wipe is done, under Advance option select Wipe Dalvik Cache to perform dalvik cache wiping.
- Now from sdcard, select install zip from sdcard and choose zip from sdcard. Locate the Carbon-JB-v1.0-07FEB2013-000846-d2usc.zip file copied earlier and select it by pressing power button. Tap on yes to confirm installation and wait until the ROM installation is complete.
- Now repeat the above step but select Gapps for Android 4.2.1 file to install the Google Apps Package rather than the Carbon ROM file during choosing from sdcard.
- When installation is done, go back to the main recovery menu and select reboot system now to boot in to the latest Android 4.2.1 firmware based custom ROM namely Carbon ROM.
That's it! Your Galaxy S3 SCH-R530 is now up and running the latest custom firmware Carbon ROM based on the new Android 4.2.1 jelly bean!
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter